More VFD Help Needed
Thanks all. 

I watched the YouTube video Mike posted for the Huanyang VFD.  I started the programming by doing a reset to factory conditions, then followed the video to program the parameters he listed, taking into account the volts, amps, and poles for Ken's 220 V/3 phase, 5 HP motor.  FYI, the circuit powering it has a 30 amp. breaker in the box.

I should point out that when the motor tried to start it ramped up very slowly; probably took 12 - 15 seconds to get up to around 2000 rpm where it would trip out and give the E.OC.A error code.  It was like it was being told to ramp up slowly, but I made no conscious programming to do that.  Looking at the manual in front of me,  I found the following parameters which might be important, as follows:

Under the Motor Function Parameters Category:
  • Auto Torque Compensation, Range = 2.0 - 10.0, Factory Default = 2.0, which it must be as I did a reset before starting.
  • Motor No-Load Current, Range = 0 - 100, Factory Default = 40.
  • Motor Slip Compensation, Range = 0.0 - 100, Factory Default = 0.0
Under the Basic Parameters Category:
  • Main Frequency, Range = 0.00 - 400.00 Hz, Now set at 60 Hz
  • Base Frequency, Range = 0.01 - 400.00 Hz, Now set at 60 Hz
  • Max. Operating Frequency, Range = 50.00 - 400.00 Hz, Now set at 60 Hz
  • Intermediate Frequency, Range = 0.00 - 400.00 Hz, Factory Default = 2.5
  • Min. Frequency, Range = 0.01 - 20.00 Hz, Factory Default = 0.50
  • Intermediate Voltage, Range = 0.15 - 10.0 V, Factory Default = 15 V for 220V motor  (The manual must have an error; I'm guessing the Range = 0.15 - 100V, and not 0.15 - 10.0V as shown.)
  • Min. Voltage, Range = 0.1- 50.0 V, Factory Default = 8V for 220V motor
I'm guessing one or more of these parameters needs to be changed.  There are comments in the manual that if the Intermediate Frequency and Intermediate Voltage values are incorrect it can cause over current, or under torque, or tripping of the inverter, which is what's happening.  These are related to your comments TDKPE, with respect to the V/Hz ratio. 

I don't see anything relating to an overload threshold adjustment.  It may be there somewhere, but I don't see it.  Thanks very much for the continued help.  As you can see, I need it. 

John
I took this photo of the motor plate today: 

[Image: XYScUWqlomWRgi2FOuFREukLnekUbD5xt43G9f1c...17-h628-no]

There is no listing for LRA, but it does have a KVA Code J.  If I got the calculation right that means the LRA = 94 amps.  The VFD has a Motor No-Load Current parameter, which currently is set at 40.  Should I change that to 94?  If so, that could explain why I'm getting an over current error code when I push the run button, yes? 

I contacted the motor manufacturer and they confirmed that the motor is suitable for use with a VFD. 

Thanks,

John
No-load current should be somewhere between 30-40% of FLA, or 4.0-5.4A, but that depends on the motor.  No-load current can be all over the place, especially on small motors.  Current draw increases nearly linearly (not quite, but close enough) with increase in load from no-load running, with no-load current generally being pretty small.

Oh, and for kVA Code "J", I get 96-108A start-up current with 12.5A FLA.  Not that it matters.  
Crazy
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks PE.  The motor manufacturer said the NLA is around 2.  OK, why do I need to know the no load amps?  What parameter relates to that? 

The motor guy keeps saying the VFD must have an auto tuning feature so that it can determine the coil impedence IIRC, but I find no evidence of it having that capability.  No help yet from HuanYang. 

Any advise on where the parameters I asked about earlier should be set?  Thanks.

John
(05-01-2017, 08:30 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The VFD has a Motor No-Load Current parameter, which currently is set at 40.  Should I change that to 94?

This is what I was responding to.  I took it to mean there is an adjustable NLC parameter. 

Just a guess, but the unit could be using the NLC and FLC to build a current profile it's expecting to see.  If there is such an adjustable NLC parameter.

Edit 1: I can't see the motor nameplate. Google wants a sign-in of some sort. You can upload it to the forum directly now, by the way, so you don't need a hosting site.

Edit 2: NLC sounds low. Sure it's not at 460V? That's usually how 3-phase motor current values are listed in the spec sheets.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
PE, my apologies.  Sometimes my stupidity amazes even me.  I completely missed the point that no-load amps. is the same thing as no load current.  Doh. 

So I went up to Ken's this AM and started by doing a reset on the VFD and then entering in only those parameters pertaining to the motor, including the NLA, as well as those relating to the incoming power, as the YouTube video guy showed (although he did not address NLA).  Still nothing.  I confirmed again that the leads are correct in the motor and wired correctly back to the VFD terminals.  We called the motor shop where Ken bought the motor and confirmed that they had run the motor at 230V, 3 phase before Ken got it.  They offered to look at it if we brought it and the VFD in, but I declined for now mostly because the motor weighs 100 lbs and is not fun to get into/out of the jointer. 

The company Ken bought the HuanYang VFD from on Ebay did respond to my request, but only to tell me that I wasn't the one who bought it and that person needs to contact them.   More when get somewhere. 

The motor manufacturer was pretty insistent that the VFD must have some autotune feature and I think I may have found evidence that there is, and that it's programmed into the basic function of the VFD and initiates when the Run button is hit, and not something the operator can influence.  I may be wrong, but that's what the Chinese English alluded to. 

I'm stumped.  Hopefully, someone here has more ideas.  Thanks.

John
I have the same VFD. It doesn't have an auto tune feature. What is the output voltage to the motor? You should be able to cycle the display to see it or you can measure it yourself.
Custom Sawing and Kiln Drying
The inverter will trip if the intermediate voltage is set too high. Leave it at 15V. Going above 22-23 volts will cause it to start tripping.
Custom Sawing and Kiln Drying
I think there might be an autotune feature, at least that is how I interpreted this statement on page 17 of the manual.  "The procedure of the operator is factory set up for the control mode of the HY series."  Then again, it could mean something completely different.  But the fact that the VFD has to "see" the motor connected to it before it will send power to it suggests to me that it must be measuring and adjusting based on what it measures. 

The minimum and intermediate voltage and frequency are the factory defaults, and are exactly as shown in the top, left diagram on page 28, 8V/0.5Hz, and 15V/2.5Hz.

I haven't tried checking the output voltage.  I had an ammeter on one of the leads this AM, but it measured nothing even on "retain peak value".  The VFD appears to trip out and display the E.OC.A error code before sending power to the motor.  But I'll try the VOM next time I take a whack at it. 

What are your motor specs. and your VFD setup parameters?  Thanks.

John
i didn't see any hint of an autotune in the manual, but I have to admit that I did reach the point where my eyes glazed over after I found everything I was looking for.  There are a lot of graphs in the mego part of the manual, I didn't make an attempt to understand them. There is probably some detection of the angle, not sure about anything else.