M-12 Circular Saw
I use the big batteries on the larger tools. I only use rhe small ones on the impact drivers and drill as if you put the big battery on the driver will fall out of my tool pouch. I usually have the impact driver in the right pocket and the drill in the left. When runnning pipe i usually swap batterys aboit every day and a half where as the guys running heavy 18v stuff often go through 2 a day.

My favorite cordless tool of all time is the m12 bandsaw. It is an excellent tool and is great for cutting conduit and larger copper service wire. Cuts everything else as well. It and the sawsall and the oscillating tool use the big battery as the small ones dont last very long.  I have about 3 of the impact drivers and a couple of the drills. The only tool that is dissapointing is the drill. The fuel version is much better... The sawsall is ok but again the fuel version is much better. I got a few tools a couple years ago during a free tool with purchase promotion.

I plan on getting the pvc cutter next. 

I have the big 18v stuff when i need it but for 98% of everything the m12 is way better cause its lighter and does the job.
Compared to the drills and other smaller tools they are a huge drag on battery life, but if you have a passel of batteries you can keep swapping. It isn't a worm saw where you will rip right through anything. If I can run an extension, I'll pass on using it, and use a corded circular saw, or the reciprocating saw too. Kinda got it free though, so what the heck, there are times when the only other way is putting the generator in the back of the truck, and that is a lot of heavy lifting.

Now in DeWally I have an 18 volt reciprocater, and I use it a lot to limb trees and such. That extra battery power makes a huge difference there. I can run for several trees and not need a change. If I was to suggest, I'd say 12's and I have Milwaukee and Bosch are best for screws, 18's for the other stuff, or LONG screws.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks SteveN.
Ag
Ag, spring for a couple big batteries and you should be ok.

Robert, make sure you get a demo on the PVC cutter, I never tried conduit but it isn't that great on DWV or series 636 furnace venting.  It doesn't like trimming cuts and cold pipe tends to shatter.  That was a trial about 5 or 6 years ago so they may have improved.  Rigid, the handtool guys, not the HD battery tool guys, makes a handheld PVC cutter for up to 2" that works well, you might want to check it out.  That M12 bandsaw is the handiest thing since sliced bread.  Its the cat's for unistrut and threaded rod when hanging stuff.  Love mine.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(05-04-2017, 11:44 PM)blackhat Wrote: Ag, spring for a couple big batteries and you should be ok.

Robert, make sure you get a demo on the PVC cutter, I never tried conduit but it isn't that great on DWV or series 636 furnace venting.  It doesn't like trimming cuts and cold pipe tends to shatter.  That was a trial about 5 or 6 years ago so they may have improved.  Rigid, the handtool guys, not the HD battery tool guys, makes a handheld PVC cutter for up to 2" that works well, you might want to check it out.  That M12 bandsaw is the handiest thing since sliced bread.  Its the cat's for unistrut and threaded rod when hanging stuff.  Love mine.

Ill probably wait and just buy the pvc cutter when its down to $75 as a refurb then. Cold pipe isn't a common issue here and im mainly doing electrical pvc. However i do everything else on the side or on the house... My first thought when i saw the tool was it looks like a tool that would be used by someone doing interrogation torture... 

When i first fot my m12 bandsaw all the guys were laughing that it wasnt at least a 4" cut course they all use sawsalls which make an awful cut and expensive cut due to pricey blades. I showed them how little i had to deburr conduit and how light it was for overhead cuts. They saw how easy it was to use that it was often getting borrowed by everyone on the site... Then within days they started buying them. Bought as a refurb for $129 with battery and case and ifnit died today id have no complaints. I thought the blades might be an issue but they last over several restaraunt builds. I use it on pvc but id like a cleaner cut hence the pvc cutter.

I did buy the harbor freight big bandsaw for $99 because i needed something for 4" pvc conduit and 2" steel conduit. Corded but for those two days of use its ok to run a cord to it.
I have had the M12 brushless saw for about a year.  It has done everything I have asked of it without complaint.  It is very well built, and has plenty of power for a 12 v tool.  Would I build a house with it?  No.  Would I use it to break down plywood or do a small project with it?  Absolutely.  As stated before, the larger batteries (4.0 ah) are the way to go with this tool.  I have found the blade to be of adequate quality, but you might want to look for something better if you are doing nicer cuts.

Some of the Milwaukees have brushed motors; others are brushless.  I always choose the brushless if there is a choice.  Power and battery life seem much better.

I really like the M12 line.  With only two small tool bags that don't weigh very much, I can carry a drill, impact driver, circular saw and reciprocating saw.  I also have the compact band saw, which is great for electrical work or light plumbing work.  It gets the most use with conduit.  I have a few of the specialty tools as well (angled impact driver and motor tool).  These really come in handy.  By using a common battery, I don't have to worry about not having a charge when I need them.

Thanks.
Thank you to everyone for your good and useful replies!
Ag
The 4AHr XC M12 batteries are outstanding...I have a pair.  They're pricey but they go and go.  The 6 other standard 1.5 to 2.0AHr M12 batteries are good but I only use them as fillers while the 4.0's charge.

I've long thought of upgrading to an 18V system but the M12 does about everything I ask of it, the higher cap batteries leave little to be desired.  I have a Dewalt 20Vmax drill...hardly ever gets used.

I will pick up the new saw...after a few more reviews.
Update on M-12 Batteries, The Max size is now a 6 amp hour one in the Large format and a 3 amp hour in the small format.  I have seen them go on sale cheaper than 2 of the other sizes. Dan
(05-11-2017, 10:37 PM)rudedan60 Wrote: Update on M-12 Batteries, The Max size is now a 6 amp hour one in the Large format and a 3 amp hour in the small format.  I have seen them go on sale cheaper than 2 of the other sizes. Dan

I hadn't seen that bit thats a pretty big capacity. I havent boight batteries for my m12 in two years because they just work. Back with niicads of any brand i would be buying batteries yearly or more.