Rebuilding the master closet
Now that I have the dryer vent properly relocated through the master closet (person builder!!
Upset ), today begins the rebuild of the entire closet... instead of just the area around the dryer vent like I was kinda hoping to get away with.  
Sarcasm 

The existing closet was the typical builder grade install... particle board and MDF, double wooden rods.  Absolutely functional, but done on the cheap... and it looked like it.  I'm redoing it on the cheap as well with painted MDF and poplar trim, but with more shelving, shoe storage, and a couple drawer stacks.   It'll look better (of course!
Big Grin ), but the only functionality I'm really adding is the drawers.  LOML says that'll count for something if/when we go to sell.  I guess that's a girl thing, because while I might appreciate a cool looking closet if I was shopping, it would be way on down the list of what's important.

Anyhoo... first of the hanging units is gluing now. 
Yes   I'm fixin' to go in with the crowbar, realizing that taking the old crap down is going to do a great deal of damage to the walls no matter how careful I am.  
No   Kind thoughts would be appreciated.
Definitely tear out the old stuff, patch the walls and paint before you start installing the new stuff. Is your new design going to hang on the wall or sit on the floor ? I ask because of the base molding and how it integrates into the new pieces. As for your new design, it's really a matter of taste. I used to work for an international closet manufacturing company and became accustomed to their way of doing things. Now, I work for a different company with a totally different design concept. If I were doing my own closets, I would do a highbred of the two companies. I like parts of each design and dislike some as well. Adding drawers in a closet is a good idea. I think that you are headed in the right direction.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I'd planned on hanging everything from the wall, including the drawer stacks... but like I figured, they sat the old stuff on the slab and installed the carpet around the uprights  Therefore, the drawer unit and a shelf unit beside it (on both sides of the closet) will sit on the floor and I'll redo the baseboard and just install it around those because I refuse to remove the carpet.  Hanging units will hang.  LOML was miffed when I refused to remove the carpet from any of the closets when we did the floors, but it's not hurting a thing in there. 
Sarcasm
Quick question, could you take out the carpet and put down some inexpensive woodgrain type flooring ? I'm thinking like a woodgrain vinyl, in strips. Just a thought, then you could continue with your plan or is it to late ?
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(05-01-2017, 08:39 PM)museumguy Wrote: Quick question, could you take out the carpet and put down some inexpensive woodgrain type flooring ? I'm thinking like a woodgrain vinyl, in strips. Just a thought, then you could continue with your plan or is it to late ?

Of course I could replace it with something...  but not gonna.  If somebody down the road hates it bad enough they can replace it.  I guess I 'get it' that some people are averse to carpet even in bedrooms, but I seriously don't understand what it hurts in a closet.  She even thought I should have torn it out of the closets in the secondary bedrooms... which never even see a foot.