I thought I had enough clamps..
...but I ran out again.
Before I buy more. I thought i'd ask. What's the most used size in the average shop?
Yeah, yeah... I know. Someone who builds large pieces will use larger clamps more, those building small boxes will stick to the small stuff..m
But for the average guy?
24"... with the 2-1/2" throat
36" with th deeper throat?

I feel like I need another half dozen and leaning toward the 24"...
I may just go with four of each.
...and still be wrong.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I've 4 each of those lengths in Bessey bars, and another four each in lightweight Jorgies  for making sure the boards don't slip or gap between Besseys.  Not enough for three sets of shelf glueups simultaneously, but I force myself to go upstairs and let the glue dry, so it works for me.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Jim, you're answering your own question. I'd say the 36" with a deeper throat allow for the most flex, and variety of uses. That old adage about things that open and close, you can't make something too small go around a big thing, but you can always put something too big over a smaller size.

That said 24" is/has been the biggest selling size for a long time, but I'm that idgit with the too long clamps on the small jobs. Almost all of mine with any type of bar are 36 or 48" length.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I probably have thirty 24" clamps. Probably 10 of which are parallel clamps and the rest pipe clamps which I prefer for most things. It isn't uncommon for me to use all of them at one time.
I have 10 12" Bessy clamps and I need to buy a couple more but I build smaller stuff.  I also have a bunch of 24" Bessy clamps that I use quite a lot.  I think the 24s are probably the most useful to have.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Yeah, I am making a bench top for the new woodshop and the glueup starts in three sections limited by the width of my planer. I used biscuits to insure the sections would line up, but step two is to run all three sections thru the planer to smooth the tops, and take out imperfections before joining. A few passes with a cabinet scraper should eliminate the glue lines from joining the trio. Hoping it turns out well. If not, I am out about $40 in materials, and I have had something to do in the new shop after being stuck in the recliner for six months... lol.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Most used here are, 12, 18, and 24"
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

For glue-ups I mostly use 12, 18 and 24. I also use the heck out of 6" clamps for many non glue-up temporary holding stuff together jobs.
(04-30-2017, 01:50 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: limited by the width of my planer.  

So many glue ups are, thus the ever popular 24"
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
If trying to hold things together, like above I reach for the 6" & 12" speed clamps. For glue ups, 30 and 36 are most frequent. While some hate them, I find myself reaching for the 36" HF flat aluminum bar clamps frequently because they are light weight and have worked well for me (and the $12 price is nice).