Game call blanks.
What species of wood do any of you use and like in making game call blanks. I promised my neighbor's son that I was going to make him a deer grunt call for this fall's hunt. In return after a couple of days, he brought over a 2# package of venison burger and a nice shoulder roast. I guess what goes around comes around. Anyway, I am cutting up some 1 1\2" X 1 1\2" game call blanks and was wondering about favorite choices of wood to use. I have already cut up some 1 1'2 " Black Walnut, Semi-Spalted Maple and Beech. I have ready for the table saw Red Oak, Red Cedar and Honey Locust for now. I have other woods I have that I can cut up but would want some opinions if any of them would be better suited than others. They are going to be subjected to harsh weather in the late Fall and Winter. Any and all opinions would be welcome.
Tim.
Seven days without turning makes one weak.
Only game calls I've made were turkey pot calls with a glass sound board and a slate striker. Made a few different woods but my pesonal preference was the Walnut. I think they just sounded better but could have just been me.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
You might want to try some Spectraply.
They make gun stocks from it.

I have a bunch of 2" X 2" stock in multi colors if you are interested in buying some.
I've used about everything. cherry , walnut , osage , burls ,mahogany, exotics ,and so on. Far as I can tell doesn't really matter except how fancy a wood you want to use.
Like Herb said,spectra ply,it looks great. Walnut and most all hard woods.I wouldn't use red oak,hate the stuff. Pau Rosa is another good wood.This reminds me I have a few duck calls to make,oh yeah and rose wood is also good.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I've sold around 2,400 African blackwood turning squares to call makers. It's one of the best tone woods, but I've seen calls made of most any wood or plastic.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Duck Commander sells calls made from bocote.  It turns very nicely.  Can't vouch for the tone qualities.  Walnut is more traditional for duck calls.  Hickory was also another wood used.  At least the older ones.  Other tropical woods commonly used that are dense and have high oil content (to resist moisture) are African blackwood and cocobolo.  My duck calls are plastic. I would stay away from red oak for any calls that are blown. Red oak absorbs too much moisture.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks to all of you for your input. I will have to ponder on it some more to decide what to use. Your input was valuable to me.
Tim.
Head the advice on the red oak and good luck.Lets see some pics when you are done.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Thanks for all your replies. I will make some from a variety of woods but I wanted to know which kind of wood I should concentrate on. This site and others seem to say walnut as their most frequent recommendations. Thanks to all.
Tim.