Game call blanks.
I'd be cautious of the Walnut for allergies, spalted wood a no, no for mouth contact. I'd go with the Beech from your list of selection, THO call web site has plenty of info. I quite making calls about 6 yrs ago as market is flooded now with calls, a personal hit with the neighbor son would be to make about 3 calls and have him try out the calls outside and give him his pic. There's times a call looks good but sounds crappy and outside trying is the way to go. Enjoy your build--
What the Heck, Give it a Try
Big Grin 
Good ideas and recommendations. I do have a Beech blank cut to the right size but I wasn't sure if it was a hardwood. Uh oh, I believe my Beech has some spalting so I should not use yes? I plan on making a few calls for this fall if my health is ok. Giving my neighbor his pick of some I make is a great idea. I am thinking this might lead to some good sales. My neighbor has a deer camp for him and his hunting buddies North of me a ways so word of mouth and them seeing the call should make for some sales.
I plan on making some with what I have: Walnut, Maple, Beech, Honey Locust and maybe Red Cedar. I have some Box Elder but I think it might be too soft, maybe the Red Cedar would be too soft too but it sure would look nice. I was going to also make some out of my Red Oak but now I won't, thanks for the warning about moisture being an issue. I do have some tropical exotics like some mentioned previously but I want to keep my costs low so I can sell at a reasonable price.
Thanks for all the input fellow wood turners. 
Yes 
Tim.
Seven days without turning makes one weak.
Tim

Are you going to put the woods into an acrylic mold?  Have you ever used several small pieces cut up to cast a mold in?  Just wondering what it would look like to have some dark and light wood mixed with maybe some Padauk or Redheart or Bloodwood.  Something like 1/4 inch chunks all mixed together.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
No Arlin I'm not making acrylic calls but you are right the mixture of woods and resins would be interesting. I am using component parts from Craft Supply USA and Penn State Industries which will make 2 different looking deer game calls. I am going to make all my calls out of wood and use the parts and bushings for the extension tube, the holder for the reed, the lanyard and o-rings from the vendors to be connected to my turned call body. I think they look more solid and less plastic-like to the customer made with wood from my area of Central Michigan. I have made some pen blanks and seam ripper blanks out of polyresin so I am familiar with it but I want to use wood. I think in my mind anyway they would look more "authentic". Thanks for the comments.
Tim.
Seven days without turning makes one weak.
Mesquite. Has a rich dark color- even some yellow, black and red if you like.

http://quackycalls.com/p1020930b/
I agree with you Tim,prefer to make my duck calls out of wood, not interested in acrylic.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member