Irwin adj bit part
This vintage bit came in a group tool buy. It needs an adjustment screw/bolt. The slot has been severely abused. Any ideas as to where I can obtain one?

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

What's the diameter of the bolt, and what's the pitch?  The head looks like a standard oval head pattern.
Take the bolt to the nearest hardware store/BORG.   Find a match for the heads size and shape......do not worry about the length, you can trim that.    Maybe check out the Stainless Steel selection.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I believe I have that bit in the shop. Let me check it for size. A standard hex head bolt could be modified. Use a hacksaw to cut a slot from one corner across. Put the threaded end in the drill press chuck and spin it on the lowest speed while using a file to shape the head. Don't hold the file still against the turning bolt. You need to make strokes with the file as if the workpiece was still.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I just looked....there is a package on my desk.  10-24 x 3" slotted oval.    Even has 4 bolts, with the 4 matching nuts.   The shape of the head matches what you be looking for.

Stainless Machine Screws, with nuts. 

I suppose you could cut them to the length needed?

I have an Irwin No.1 expansive bit...just checked the bolts to it...perfect match....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have 2 Irwin no. 2 expansive bits. The shank is clearly marked as such. Both take a 1/4" x 28 bolt. That's standard UNF so any decent hardware store should be able to hook you up.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Not to be the parade rainer here, BUT, has anyone had success with such bits? I bought several back in the day and could never get them to work reliably.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(05-01-2017, 06:39 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Not to be the parade rainer here, BUT, has anyone had success with such bits? I bought several back in the day and could never get them to work reliably.

I know this is the "Hand Tools" forum, but you have to understand I don't use many things that don't have electrical cords on them.

That being said.  I do carry a brace and this bit in my "job site bag".  I have found over the years this is - in my opinion - the only two tools you need to install door knobs (well, those two and a sharp chisel and a six-in-one screwdriver). 

One bit, multiple sizes of holes depending on the lockset and no cords to string across the room.  I generally let the home owner pick up the chips.

I start the hole from both sides and finish in the middle.  The spur cutter does a beautiful job on the rather thin veneers you tend to find on the face of today's newly manufactured doors.  You can clean out the . . . ummmm . . . solid core "stuff" with a number two pencil - or just about anything else.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(05-01-2017, 06:39 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Not to be the parade rainer here, BUT, has anyone had success with such bits? I bought several back in the day and could never get them to work reliably.

I've used them almost universally successfully from time to time for holes larger than the #18 bit that I have, must keep them sharp.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

This bit works wonderfully. It appears as if it had recently been sharpened.