speed used when using skew
I tend to run on the slower side 900 to 1200 rpm's when turning pieces that are roughed and balanced with the exception of the skew which I use a lot. I push it up around 1700 to 1900 rpm's.

Where do you run your speed for using the skew.  Thanks.
(04-30-2017, 09:35 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I tend to run on the slower side 900 to 1200 rpm's when turning pieces that are roughed and balanced with the exception of the skew which I use a lot. I push it up around 1700 to 1900 rpm's.

Where do you run your speed for using the skew.  Thanks.

At 680 on my Nova.  You're planing, so the same thing is true as if you had a hand plane - downhill, vary the pitch of the edge to avoid too heavy pickup, vary the angle of skew to effectively lower the cutting angle.

I use a straight edge tool for roughing sometimes.  Easy, like the old chair bodgers.  Same tool does the job from rough to slick.

Here's a hint.  "Balance" diminishes in importance when you moderate your rpm.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Of course it depends on the work piece and if it's been brought to round or not. Typically though, something in the 2000 rpm range, a little more, a little less depending on diameter, wood, etc. etc. Not unusual to go 2500 or more.
Steve K

As a very novice spindle turner I agree with the above post using the skew to rough out things.  I watched several videos of folks using the skew to form spindles.  I have lots of scrap from other projects to practice turning so there is no fear of ruining good wood.  I have a Walker-Turner belt drive lathe run at a lower speed to rough out things.  I am just more comfortable at a lower speed.  I will practice a technique then just discard the part when done.  I have a friend that has a morbid fear of the skew, probably due to high speed catches.   

I have absolutely no desire to turn bowls, just not my thing.  But I will be finishing up several Windsor chairs in the near future, probably using ash for the legs and stretchers.  I enjoy learning new things and look forward turning the parts with a skew.  

Just get some scrap wood and try things out.  Good luck...Tom
For me it depends on the diameter.  For most of my spindle work (2" diameter) it is around the 2100 mark.  A 2" spindle at 2100 has less wood coming past the edge than a 10" bowl at 500 rpm.  I seldom do really small work like a pen but if I did I would push it up to the 3500 or so mark, for a large spindle (4" vase) I would probably drop it to about the 1200 area.
With any speed, the feed rate of the tool is an important part of a smooth cut.
This is a recommended speed chart from Teknatool.  I typically go a bit slower than their max recommendations.

Attached Files Image(s)

The caption should read recommended "maximum" rpm, because it has not much at all to do with cutting procedure, but liability lawyerspeak.   At 2000 rpm the same spot comes by the tool 33 times per second. The first time it comes by, the wood's removed, the rest of the time you're cutting nothing.  Now figure you can advance the tool ~1/8" per second under control, if you're normal.  Wants an rpm of ~600 to hit every spot twice.

On the flip side, you've got Newton who says that you have twice the velocity, you have 4 times the energy for your face to absorb if you hook and throw. 

I believe the rpm given represent a suggestion for people using scraping technique, not cutting, and pushing the tool straight into the rotation.  Both possible, but poor choices.  The man who coined the term "spindle roughing gouge" is one of the push in at 90 degrees, based on his old JET youtubes.  Wonder he didn't hurt himself, though, if you look at the surface, he left a lot of roughness to work out. Guess that was his penance.

[Image: Whittled-with-Rough.jpg]

All you need's the gouge.  P320 would roughen the surface.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Proper speed is what you are most comfortable with. MM likes slower speeds, and they work for him. I prefer higher speeds. I am not much of a skew user, but generally will be in the 2000 rpm range, depending on what I am turning. Take a look at this for why the skew catches....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvF5f1phhY

Another good one is from Alan Batty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk

robo hippy
To go along with robo, the is another video by Stuart Batty (Alan's son).  Although he is using the SRG the same would occur with a skew.
Assuming the block is 6" long the first cut was about 2" a second (3 elephants) and the second about 1" per second (6 elephants
Smile)

https://vimeo.com/68784519
To me personally I like to use it above 1500 and anything under feels to choppy to me.  I also use it a lot for making small beads too.

However there are a lot more people who are way better then me using the skew.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I sometimes use a spindle gouge to get the turning to round and when I switch to the skew I turn the speed up as fast as my lathe will go. I get smoother cuts when using high speed. But you use what works best for you.
Tim.
Seven days without turning makes one weak.