Anti - Slip Floor Paint
Can I just mix some sand with floor enamel?
Kind of sand matter?
Ag
Sure, you can use sand. I'd use coarse builder's sand.
You can recognize it by the orange color.

But it's going to be pretty rough.
You might want to use playground sand instead.
It's white & has really small grains.
In my last shop, I put down an epoxy floor.  I used the sand that was provided with the system.  It was very fine, and I only used about half of what was provided.  I came to regret using any at all!  It made it very hard to wipe up spills, and it was just like sandpaper when dragging anything across it (sliding was out of the question).  unless this is an area where slipping is a serious issue, like slush or ice falling off of the car in the garage, I would think twice.
Bob
(05-01-2017, 06:05 PM)BobW Wrote: In my last shop, I put down an epoxy floor.  I used the sand that was provided with the system.  It was very fine, and I only used about half of what was provided.  I came to regret using any at all!  It made it very hard to wipe up spills, and it was just like sandpaper when dragging anything across it (sliding was out of the question).  unless this is an area where slipping is a serious issue, like slush or ice falling off of the car in the garage, I would think twice.

Thank you.
This is a locomotive cab floor.
OEM was dimensional lumber, not even screwed down to the "joists" and held in place by friction, gravity, and a sheet of linoleum glued on top. For a variety of reasons, dimensional lumber is my best replacement, screwed down and without the linoleum.
So a sand texture painted finish is my plan.
Ag
Mason sand is very fine, and cheap. Comes in 50# bags at your lumber yard.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-01-2017, 06:27 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Thank you.
This is a locomotive cab floor.
OEM was dimensional lumber, not even screwed down to the "joists" and held in place by friction, gravity, and a sheet of linoleum glued on top. For a variety of reasons, dimensional lumber is my best replacement, screwed down and without the linoleum.
So a sand texture painted finish is my plan.
Ag
3M makes a floor tape for stairs. Most hardware stores carry it or an other manufacture. it is 3" wide and bought by the foot length, check it out.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(05-01-2017, 07:03 PM)MikeBob Wrote: 3M makes a floor tape for stairs. Most hardware stores carry it or an other manufacture. it is 3" wide and bought by the foot length, check it out.

Will do. Thank you!
(05-01-2017, 06:05 PM)BobW Wrote: In my last shop, I put down an epoxy floor.  I used the sand that was provided with the system.  It was very fine, and I only used about half of what was provided.  I came to regret using any at all!  It made it very hard to wipe up spills, and it was just like sandpaper when dragging anything across it (sliding was out of the question).  unless this is an area where slipping is a serious issue, like slush or ice falling off of the car in the garage, I would think twice.

Yes, in a garage I would apply the sand only in the walkway areas and leave the areas that are under the car untreated.  

While unfinished concrete is not slippery at all, once you paint it you have to deal with the slip.  So not painting is an alternative (cost effective too).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-04-2017, 02:46 PM)Cooler Wrote: Yes, in a garage I would apply the sand only in the walkway areas and leave the areas that are under the car untreated.  

While unfinished concrete is not slippery at all, once you paint it you have to deal with the slip.  So not painting is an alternative (cost effective too).

I dont know about that, my garage floor is unfinished and slippery has all get out if you have dry snow on it. They really did a fine troweling on it.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(05-04-2017, 05:26 PM)MikeBob Wrote: I dont know about that, my garage floor is unfinished and slippery has all get out if you have dry snow on it. They really did a fine troweling on it.

Mine too is extremely smooth.  The home inspector called it "hardened concrete".  It destroys carbide bits and none of teh .22 cartridge nails will penetrate.

That said, I'm certain that it would be more slippery if I painted it.

Mine is over a crawl space and the floor is always colder than the air in the warm weather.  When it rains it behaves like  lemonade glass on a humid day.  The floor gets soaking wet from condensation.  It is always a bit slippery when that happens.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.