Keep A Tree From Sprouting Suckers At the Base
I have a tree in my front yard that wants to keep sprouting leafy suckers around the base of the tree just where all the roots start. I think this is the tree reacting to being disturbed during construction. It's a mature oak, approx 16" diameter. It otherwise appears healthy. I cut them all off twice already. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I vaguely recall from living in apple country a chemical that was spread on the fruit trees to prevent suckers. Is that an option? The area in question is going to be a flower garden around the tree and I want things to look neater.
Just keep them cut back. Anything you spray to kill them will eventually kill the tree too.
There is a product called Sucker Stopper, I had asked here about it some time back and got no replies. I may try some since I have a couple of trees that either have to stop growing suckers or get cut down. This biggest problem with this stuff is the cost, it's not cheap just to try it out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I listen to the county agent every Saturday morning on the radio in the kitchen. He always says not to do anything but cut them- it's what Oaks do. Sprays, even intended for such, will eventually systemically kill the tree.
 That's what he says.
Oaks are not prone to sucker sprouting at the base as much as crabapple (or real apple, for that matter), linden, pear, and a few others.

As you said, could be stress from construction that stimulated this response. Is the tree planted too deep? Suckers on "not normally suckering trees" are often a response to deep planting or the root collar being buried later.

I have haven't tried sucker stopper. Probably should try it on my crabapple just so I know if it works to tell others. Doesn't bother me that much to cut them off a couple times per year.
Oaks don't normally do that.

Just whiz on it a couple times a day.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Its common on some types of oaks. The trash oaks here are very bad about sprouting suckers.  In rhe spring just yank them off while they are green but past that just cut them off. Nothing you can do to slow or stop them from doing it its just what some varietys do. If the sprouts are numerous below about 3' there might be an issue with the tree.
Plant an apple tree nearby.  The deer will come in to clean up the apples.  Around mid January, When they have the apples cleaned up, they will start working on the suckers ... and the shrubs ... and the lilies ... and every thing else in your yard.

Anyone know how to get rid of the deer?

Actually I enjoy the deer, but I do need to protect anything I don't want to feed them.  I dropped an oak recently, and within a day I could see where they were nibbling the ends of the fallen branches. 

I have also used this on my Stihl trimmer.  
[Image: 31vBJ1FJ8qL.jpg]
Like others, I am not a fan of putting down anything to prevent their growth.  This problem calls for mitigation and not prevention.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(05-01-2017, 07:03 PM)Cecil Wrote: ......

Anyone know how to get rid of the deer?

I have also used this on my Stihl trimmer.  
[Image: 31vBJ1FJ8qL.jpg]
Seems to me like you answered your own question
Raised 

Fencing is about the only thing that works...and it has to be tall enough.  In lower density populations, scent repellents work, but not when they get thick.

Shoot the does...lots and lots of does.

Big rats is all they are.
I watched a show about one of the lumber companies protecting their seedlings down south somewhere. They found out that deer do not like eggs...not even a little even when they are fried sunny side up (the only way to eat them, BTW). So they concocted a spray that had an egg base and solved their problem. Probably not much use to you, but an interesting tidbit; at least to me. Seriously, one thing you might try is go to a local dog groomer and get a bag of dog hair. Scatter that around whatever you're protecting. Deer have such a good sense of smell they avoid it like the plaque, works fairly well for rabbits too. Helps if the dog hasn't had a bath in a year or so, but most hair at a groomer isn't usually quite that nasty.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.