Keep A Tree From Sprouting Suckers At the Base
Those are all scent repellants. They work in low population situations. But when the rats of the forest are dramatically overpopulated, they stop caring so much about smells they don't like near foods they need. If you are using the scent repellants, I should also add: change it up frequently...egg stuff, dog (or human) hair, ivory soap, other commercial repellants, etc... The one constant should be lead directed at does. Shooting bucks does nothing to the population...gotta shoot does.
I have an infestation of sumac trees and they overrun the yard by sending up suckers.  Not quite as bad as bamboo, but a real pain in the butt.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Deer dont like Irish Spring bar soap. For ground plants put some shavings of it around them, for trees cut the bars into smaller sizes and hang them on the trees at deer height.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Thanks Joe and Fred.  I did not mean to hijack the thread.  I just thought I would add some humor ahead of the real answer of the Stihl trimmer blades.  There are several deer replants.  Spaying hot sauce on the leaves works well, and it is fun to watch!  
Big Grin
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
My wife suggested I try the Irish Spring trick to keep rabbits out from under some steps we have, I had never heard of that until she mentioned it.  Something about the perfume is repulsive to wild animals.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-02-2017, 03:43 PM)Cooler Wrote: I have an infestation of sumac trees and they overrun the yard by sending up suckers.  Not quite as bad as bamboo, but a real pain in the butt.

Speaking from experience at my old house, if you mow the lawn often enough then the suckers eventually die off. They can't recover as quickly as gras can.

As to the oak tree, I'm just going to cut the suckers off when they show up. it should only be a once a year thing anyway.
(05-03-2017, 06:09 AM)fredhargis Wrote: My wife suggested I try the Irish Spring trick to keep rabbits out from under some steps we have, I had never heard of that until she mentioned it.  Something about the perfume is repulsive to wild animals.
Not mice. They eat it. Makes their poop smell nice though.
Winkgrin

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I found this on the web....

"Grasp the sucker at the root and tear it away. Regardless of where the sucker originates -- the roots or the trunk -- always tear as opposed to cut. Tearing helps remove the dormant buds at the base.

Distribute a growth inhibitor containing naphthaleneacetate, or NAA, over the point where you tore the tree suckers away. NAA is widely used commercially but is also available for domestic use."
(05-03-2017, 08:01 PM)Foggy Wrote: Not mice. They eat it. Makes their poop smell nice though.
Winkgrin

I won't ask why you go around smelling mice poop...
My neighbors sycamore sprouts every year. Cutting them off solves the problem each year. The trick is not letting them get too big!
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green