Captured Rings
I'm a new turner and wanted to make captured ring goblets for my son's wedding. I also wanted to make some baby rattles so when I saw Robert Sorby offered a captive ring tool kit I bought one. It's probably me but I just can't get this thing to cut right. It either sits there burning the wood or if I drop the tip too low it's WAY to aggressive - enough so that I ruined one ring with it. It cuts with a scraping action so I try to put the tool rest at a height to put the top edge of the cutter on center. Problem with this tool is if it digs in it doesn't end to cut in air it has more wood below it to pull the tool in. I ended up using a parting tool to release the rings.

I know now I should have probably fabricated my own tool for this but has anyone had success with this Sorby kit that they can share with me?

Thanks,

Mike
I have no experience with that tool. It looks like  a good tool with a lot of options. The only advice I can offer is to stay at it. You will find what works for you.
Check out this video. Might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ1rBxwkO8o
Still Learning,

Allan Hill