What planes/tools to look for at an antique show?
I've read a lot of that page, Blood and Gore, but until I actually get into actually putting planes into real use, a lot of it is Greek to me.

Thank for the advice on the saws; Father's Day is coming up. I think I'll ask for a nice, new back saw.

I'll keep this stuff in mind if I find anybody selling anything. I have looked at eBay at prices on the 60 1/2. I had forgotten about the sellers here; I think I'll spend more time down in S&S.
Semper fi,
Brad

(05-01-2017, 01:06 PM)Don W Wrote: http://www.timetestedtools.net/2016/01/2...ge-planes/
Thanks for a great resource, Don...and welcome aboard!!!!! Now buckle your seatbelt and hang on!!!!
Crazy
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

FYI, Lie-Nielsen is a good source for any new saw you seek. Short of borg junk, you can't go wrong with any current craft saw builders. They have a vast warehouse of traditional saws to compete against. It's why you find strange/different tooth patterns in many of the newer offerings.
For handsaws, I'd look for Disston or Atkins branded saws, preferably pre-WWII (better quality workmanship).  I'm more of a Disston person.  Distton D-12 or No. 12 are their top of the line saws.  No. 8 / D-8 and No. 7 / D-7 are good saws.  Earlier D-23's are decent saws, but the handles aren't as comfortable as the pre-WWII saws.  A rip saw, around 4-5 tpi and a crosscut, around 7-10 tpi are good ones to add to your arsenal.  Lots and lots of backsaws out there as well.  A rip backsaw is essential for dovetailing.  A crosscut backsaw for fine crosscuts.  There, you want 12-15 tpi for either.  You can check places like Lee Valley to look at the specs of the modern sawmakers which will give you an idea of what works for your projects.  If you are going to get saws, you are also going to need saw sharpening stuff like saw files, a saw vise (easy to make your own), and a saw set.  Just like edge tools, saws need to be sharpened to continue to be useful.  So many old saws are in desperate need of jointing and sharpening.  If you can't find a good one in the wild or don't have the time to invest in learning to sharpen a saw, pass on the saws and get other items higher on your priority list.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-01-2017, 11:59 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........................
I am kinda "wary" of Antique Fairs...

And don't forget, Woodnet has lots of reputable fellows that may be able to fill your plane requirements at a much better price than "antique dealers" who probably know very little about the tools they are selling.

Knowledge is power!!
Big Grin

I agree. Established Woodnet sellers will not do you wrong, for me it is the only way to purchase used tools. Leave the flea markets and yard sales to the experts.
Unless you dont mind a gamble.

Ag
Each Labour Day weekend, there is a Tractor Fest.    I usually try to save up a pocket full of cash....why?

Because of all the old tool vendors, spread out over a large park.   Last year, I wound up walking for almost 2 miles, each of the two days i was there..

Whether it be chisels..

Push drills and screwdrivers....

There is usually quite a few vendors to choose from.   I do a lot of walking,  shopping for the right deals,   but, looking for items  I don't have in the shop...

Like a Keen Kutter 6" brace?  
Big Grin

Walk around the entire show,note where some of the better tools are located, compare conditions, and price.   Sometimes, you can even bargain a bit.....usually on the last day.....as the vendors would prefer NOT to haul all the stuff back home. 
No

Oh, and budget enough for food and drink.....walking builds up a thrist, and hunger pains....
Yes
Winkgrin
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Get another #5 and turn it into a scrub plane. Miller Falls makes good stuff but avoid the bright red ones. Only red area should on the adjustment. Old chisels at various sizes are a good bet. Buck brothers is a good brand.
Don
Any planes or chisels, examine the blade carefully for pitting. Even a few little pits in the flat side can add hours of effort and frustration to the tune up. There are a great many things to learn about buying and rehabbing old tools, especially if all you want is to acquire a few good user grade tools. You could always post a picture or two here and ask for opinions. Keep looking and go back for something if folks here say " Grab it".
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I think Forest Gump said something like, "Antique shows are like a box of chocolates."
You never know what you'll find at one. Go, look and see what rings your chimes. If the prices are right, you can't get hurt too bad, even if you end up with a boat anchor.
(05-02-2017, 08:31 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I think Forest Gump said something like, "Antique shows are like a box of chocolates."
You never know what you'll find at one. Go, look and see what rings your chimes. If the prices are right, you can't get hurt too bad, even if you end up with a boat anchor.
Right on, Hank....We know that even knowledgable tool dealers make mistakes and price tools wrong sometimes.......they are the deals we are looking for!!!
.. I bought a small plane from a tool guy at my local flea market..This was in 1993, right after my wife passed away..I managed to "beat him down" from his price of $25.00 to $20.00...The plane turned out to be a Chaplin #1..an extremely rare plane...Martin J. Donnelly sold it a few years later at his online auction for the sum of $26,500 and I watched the hammer go down on it!!!!!!!!
Eek
Eek
Big Grin ..I have been looking for another one for many years!!!!!
Crazy
Big Grin ..I saw Martin this past Feb. at the meet in Madison and he remembered it well!!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset