SOLD>>Monday Blue light special..Darling, Brown and Sharpe machinist square
This one is well over 100yrs old and still as accurate as the ones being made today..Darling was one of the founders of Brown and Sharpe, makers of Come of the finest, most accurate precision tools ever made, and the leading competitor of the L.S. Starrett company even today. They make great tools! They were instrumental in the development of the micrometer, which is the precision tool that opened the door to parts interchangeability way back in the mid 1800's...The company actually pre-dates Starrett....This vintage square is all steel and filled with Brazillian Rosewood, like many fine old tools of long ago...Don't discount it's accuracy because of it's age..it is "dead-nuts" on...The beam measures 4" long and 1 5/8" in width...The end of the beam carries the DBS stamp in very small letters that are almost invisible {to me anyway!
Crazy }
    If you love vintage tools as much as I do, and actually USE them in your work, this is the little guy for you!! There's "no tool like an old tool"!!!! Selling it for the paltry sum of $30.00 plus flat rate shipping of $7.00...First PM  that can complete the transaction quickly...Paypal only, USA sale only {sorry}..Thanks for looking..

[Image: P1030167.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Is the Lincoln included?

carl
It is closer to 120 years old at least. Samuel Darling was bought out by Mr. Brown and Mr. Sharpe in 1892. Apparently, old Sam was such a perfectionist that he would not trade accuracy for profit and was therefore booted from the company. The name DBS was used until 1897 though.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(05-02-2017, 03:02 PM)Carl Grover Wrote: Is the Lincoln included?

carl

Yep...if you want it for $32.00 including shipping, it's yours..I have two that size and one with a six inch beam..it'll save me from Ebaying it..
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-02-2017, 04:28 PM)enjuneer Wrote: It is closer to 120 years old at least. Samuel Darling was bought out by Mr. Brown and Mr. Sharpe in 1892. Apparently, old Sam was such a perfectionist that he would not trade accuracy for profit and was therefore booted from the company. The name DBS was used until 1897 though.

I like B&S as much as I do Starrett, and am always on the hunt for them..I don't know what B&S affliafion with the Swiss Company is all about, but I have a few precision tools with both brands on them IIRC..One is a dial indicator with the name "Interapid" on the dial and it is a "high-dollar" gauge very accurate.
Sam apparently wasn't as "flamboyant" or "proud" as Mr.Starrett was because he impressed the initials on the beam in almost microscopic letters. The tool dude I bought it from had to point them out to me..
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-02-2017, 04:33 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................
Yep...if you want it for $32.00 including shipping, it's yours..I have two that size and one with a six inch beam..it'll save me from Ebaying it..
Big Grin

How much for the 6" and do you have a pic? Send me a PM.
(05-03-2017, 08:06 AM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: How much for the 6" and do you have a pic? Send me a PM.

I sent you a PM just now..

Here's a shot of both squares..6" and 4"....Selling them as a pair for $70.00 which includes shipping...

[Image: P1030295.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset