Design: Tables- Shin kickers
John, I reserve 'haterade' for politics and racism, neither being in this thread. 

Two points were made, the design was bad when originally built; and, doubly so when faithfully resurrected a few months ago. The recreator should know to correct foolish mistakes rather than cling to the errors of the original. To incorporate those issues as an object lesson into the rebuild process is how civilization and society advance, by improving. I am identifying those flaws, even to the point of saying faithful recreation was a bad mistake. 

There is a place for accolades; we need them. Derek would never show us his works in progress if people did not give him his due. I think this group is generally quite remiss on that score. Allow him the personal challenges he needs--and fondness for weird wood species--and we receive far more in value than an acutely abridged construction article or video. And our lessons are free. Derek also encourages critique. 

We can mumble and bury criticism, or put it out into your face. Degree of acuity is commensurate with the builder's hierarchy in the industry and level of the problem.
I like the idea of more colorful critiques here, and since I do not know who made the piece I thought the comments were in bounds. Easier to be colorful in comments if the maker is anonymous.

I would never consider making this design for many reasons.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I actually like those shin-kickers......I can use those to rest my tired feet on.  

Compare this to what used to be called "Gate Leg Tables back in the 1800s, and earlier....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Keep em coming. I like them
(05-03-2017, 12:59 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I think Bruce's critique is relevant. We need more of this in this site. Ignore the designer and focus on the design.

In my opinion, the concept did not project itself forward and examine how it would be used (I agree with all Bruce's points here). Plus - again my opinion - this is a most boring and unadventurous design. I expect that the joinery is first class, as is the fit and finish. However, I would not wish to live with this table. It is composed of straight lines that give it the look of a bunch of sticks. 

Hey, just my personal tastes here. Yours may differ. And you can throw stones at me later when I offer up another build, this time a sofa table with some interesting features (to start when I finish the kitchen I have been working on the past few months. Almost done).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I agree with all of this, as well as the OP. I have no idea who the builder is, either. It's not personal, it just looks to me like a boring and poorly conceived design.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Just to clarify, the original subject is 19th century, I think. The builder of this piece is usually faithful to copying original design when building pieces, but I'm guessing as no comparison image was shown.
Get busy..

All veneer work.

Came into the house yesterday...needs a wee bit of work......just a freebie...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(05-05-2017, 02:20 PM)MattP Wrote:  I agree with all of this, as well as the OP. I have no idea who the builder is, either. It's not personal, it just looks to me like a boring and poorly conceived design.

(05-06-2017, 06:29 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Just to clarify, the original subject is 19th century, I think. The builder of this piece is usually faithful to copying original design when building pieces, but I'm guessing as no comparison image was shown.

It really is a very strange piece - those outlandishly deep aprons, and to what design do those curvy ended "aprons" on the flaps belong, certainlly not this one, and what purpose do they serve, unless it is to stop the flaps from bowing.  If it is a copy of an original, why bother, there are much better designs to copy.  For my own part, I have never wanted to copy anything that someone else has designed, although I will shamelessly steal details and combine them in my own way.  My current project at the design stage is an art deco influenced bedside cabinet incorporating inlay based on the design of a balcony seen on a 1930's art deco house.  This is so much more fun, I just wish more woodworkers would have the courage to have a go at designing their own furniture.  There is great great satisfactionto be gained from completing a piece to a good standard, but doing this to your own design adds a whole dimension to this reward.

Jim
Without the designer / builder here to rebut or discuss this "critique", it is little more than a hatchet job or gaggle of opinions based on a single picture.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Bandit, Side boards are crying for homes out here in the Puget Sound Region. In immaculate condition, too. They are just too big. WAY TOO BIG. I could see chopping them up like hot rods. Those 'twiggy' legs? Gone! Too long? No more side door(s). The sad thing about western construction is "too permanent". 

My son's rental cello went back to the music store when he decided to buy. They had done repairs using carpenter's glue. Do you know how many times a 300 year old string instrument has been opened on glue lines? Repairmen (they hated the term "luthier") trusted garden variety table knives to do the deed.

Now, Jim (Yetloh) has the right idea. "Steal details but design your own piece." That could have been the inspiration for the subject of my critique. ... Ummm, some people need hand-holding. They are the majority too. After twenty years my wife still needs to see the same furniture physically moved around in the same living room when she rearranges. "Yes, dearest. Last year the room grew 2 feet wider overnight. I am sure the sofa that didn't work will fit wonderfully this time."

Blackhat, the builder can handle himself. He bombed this one. Badly. Do you really need more than one picture angle?