Lacquer / Enamel
Have an old treadle sewing machine that I would like to paint. Can I paint enamel over top of lacquer?
Sure can, give it a light sanding with 220 or 320 grit and a good wipe down.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

The tip about the wipe down is likely as important as any you will get. The machine almost certainly had some silicone type furniture polish used on it, and getting it off will be needed for almost anything else to stick to it. Even a good cleaning with TSP (the real stuff) may not clean it entirely, so you might want to consider a coat of shellac to seal off the contamination.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.