What do I have here? Carvers?
Probably 15 years ago when I 'discovered' hand tools I saw and purchased either here or on SMC a set of 'carving chisels'. I don't remember exactly, but the story was something like 'I was going to go to Bali (insert whatever Eastern Pacific island you like- I don't remember) to train w some famous carver. The sellers plans fell through but he had been obligated to buy the tools for his training. Part of the training was 'tuning' the tools for use. He never did that but he offered the 'raw materials' for sale and I bought them. And they have sat in a box in my basement since.

So here is what have:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=...edIndex=26

3 Vs, 15 gouges and 16 flat chisels.

It may be possible to sort the handles between the chisels better but they were obviously an afterthought and none ffof the them fit into the sockets in a logical way. The handles were also done crudely wo a lathe or individual fittings.

The sockets were obviously formed freehand which might explain why they fit so inconsistently. They appear to be 'forge' welded-

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=...edIndex=26

but the sockets and the business end seem coherent.

The straight edge chisels have a double edge (both sides beveled) and there is no evidence of lamination. The sweeps of the gouges are not consistent, but do vary. Whether that is due to intention or serendipity I have no idea.

So, I guess my next step is to sharpen them up and see how the cut wood. I will probably start w one and see how it goes. But if anyone has any knowledge of what I have I would appreciate it.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
I guess I have to learn how to post pictures from a mobile device in the new software. I will update soon

Pedro
Lots of fingers and toes . . . . crossed.
Smirk
Well lets try this the old fashioned way.

All of them

[Image: IMG_20170503_1754261_zps1paev4ku.jpg]

A socket. This is probably one of the worst of them.

[Image: IMG_20170503_1755551_zpssdkh0lov.jpg]

And a little better view of the sweeps on the gouges.

[Image: IMG_20170503_1757441_zpsd0fbsgde.jpg]

ANy idea? My next step will be to clean up one and try and get a sense of the quality of the metal

Pedro
(05-04-2017, 05:46 AM)PedroOhare Wrote: Well lets try this the old fashioned way.

All of them

[Image: IMG_20170503_1754261_zps1paev4ku.jpg]

A socket. This is probably one of the worst of them.

[Image: IMG_20170503_1755551_zpssdkh0lov.jpg]

And a little better view of the sweeps on the gouges.

[Image: IMG_20170503_1757441_zpsd0fbsgde.jpg]

ANy idea? My next step will be to clean up one and try and get a sense of the quality of the metal

Pedro
"ANy idea? My next step will be to clean up one and try and get a sense of the quality of the metal"..

That would be my first step..Take a sharp file and test the steel for hardness...If you can file the metal, it wont hold an edge and will have to be heat treated then tested again to see if the correct temper can even be achieved..if the steel will not harden properly, I wouldn't waste any more time with them.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

You might find this interesting:

https://youtu.be/85vcucqu3nM

My guess is that those will be simple carbon steel, will sharpen well with an oilstone and hold an edge just fine.
Occasional musings on my blog:
bridgerberdel.wordpress.com
Similar to yours, I was looking into these (link follows) from China. A blogger in UK thought they were decent metal. This store has listed several groups of chisels over the last few years. Yours may have originated there or something like them. Unfortunately, there are no quality controls in that part of the world, so I let the bargain of a lifetime slip by. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Sharped-12p...OSwEeFU-r7-