joining question
Building bunk beds...taking plywood..sawing 4" wide then cutting 45deg angle the length (8ft) of the strip..question is...how would you join these 8ft mitered strips, which will form a 4x4 post......I have biscuits, glue, clamps......would like your input.  Thanks
Probably the simplest way would be to bevel all the parts the run a parallel spline to create this joint 

[Image: parallel%20miter%20lock%20joint_zps0rcvyscw.jpg]
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

A biscuit joiner (plate joiner) like the PC557 with its fence angled can do a slick job of helping to align the corners on a long run like that.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
If your biscuit joiner can go to 135° it's easy peasy.

[Image: yENOHhehB4hhTxtwL-hQopkdCaPAK5J7nZo-Vh53...38-h628-no]

[Image: gc2-ztiPFkl1uvqwQqCAFLIS7BZYst4DJGX2uC9J...38-h628-no]

John
If you clamp two pieces of the beveled together to create a vee trough you do not even have to have a fence to guide the cuts  just drop the BJ in the vee and cut.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Guys  All your comments tell me I'm thinking correctly.....wanted to insure there was NOT some secret I was missing.  thank You for reading and your time to respond.
John,

I once made a similar joint with the inside of the 45 flush with each other. Took a plane to knock off the front edge flush. everyone looks at the perfect joint at the 90. most don't realize the actual joint is a 1/4" away from where they're looking.

Ken
Masking tape works surprisingly well. 
line the four pieces face up side by side and stretch multiple strips of tape across the joints leaving a tail on one side. Then turn the assembly over and brush the glue into the joints. Finally roll up the assembly and secure with the tape tails.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Use a beveled lock joint and you can eliminate the need for splines.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I agree with George. A lock miter joint will................

Makes your problem of an end grain to end grain glue up disappear

Give you miles of glue surface

Be essentially self squaring, making assembly and glue up very easy

Give you that crisp sharp edge that you want, simply by putting the parts together, no need to open, or close it just a smidge...........goes back to ease of assembly and glue up.

CONs: You absolutely, positively need to use a high grade plywood, BB or better. Some old gappy delaminating ply from the BORG just won't do well once you carve up it's edge.

For some they are a PIA to set up. Here a jig, or test cut really help get you online quickly, you still need to do a test cut or 3. This really turns some people off.

Because I really like this joint. I think this jig/tool is a steal for the $$$$ they get for it
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW