Poly over CA
I have finished a piece with punky and soft spots in it. I used CA to solidify the  wood to turn and sand. Will poly stick to the CA areas. Also I am wondering about the finish if it will be spotty. I put to much effort and time in to have it go wrong now.

Spalted sycamore crotch wood by the way.
How big is the piece?

It can get very messy, but you can actually use CA as a finish.

If you try it, be sure to have good ventilation and wear a cheap faceshield. DAMHIKT
Rolleyes
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Mechanical adhesion, so make sure the CA areas are not shiny, and be careful not to let the poly suck back away from your CA patch.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(05-06-2017, 07:15 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Mechanical adhesion, so make sure the CA areas are not shiny, and be careful not to let the poly suck back away from your CA patch.

MM

You lost me on that about the poly suck back?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
When you apply the poly, sometimes cohesion trumps adhesion.  Think of water on wax, which coheres, making beads, rather than flowing evenly wetting the surface. The poly won't stick to the slick surface of the CA, and it will pull back, leaving a super "fisheye", to use a lacquer reference.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.