Butt-Joint Glue UpSuggestions
(05-06-2017, 12:26 PM)Don_M Wrote: Thanks

The only issue there is that once I force the skirt board into a curve to fit around the stair case -I think there will be some stress (tension) on the end joint.

I suppose a scarf joint is probably the classic solution – but I think the backer scrap (with perhaps a lap) will be a good way to go for me.

It would sure give you something solid to attach to.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
long scarf joints
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

3/8" thick ply of any kind, cutting scarfs would unearth a lot of partial ply, I'm thinking that may not be so stable, especially wrapped on a curve. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I can't see it working in my minds eye. If it actually worked, well there ya go
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Last one I helped with we just butted the wiggle wood together and let the veneers hold it together 

the difference was that we used vacuum bags to veneer using a frame to set the spiral 

I also think you are looking at the scarf differently , I just rip the stock long (as in a couple of feet) then attach with glue)
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(05-07-2017, 12:15 PM)Steve N Wrote: 3/8" thick ply of any kind, cutting scarfs would unearth a lot of partial ply, I'm thinking that may not be so stable, especially wrapped on a curve.

The link I provided earlier in this thread described scarfing 1/4" ply for bending into a kayak.
Don, I have used " wiggle board" the stuff that comes from Australia often. You can easily bend a 12" radius let alone a large radius like you need. You do not need anything but a simple butt joint. Are you veneering over the wiggle board?
mike
I've joined plywood (3/4") by making a large half-lap joint.  Essentially it is more a continuation of the plywood than a real joint.  As I recall I made a 6" lap on both pieces and glued and clamped.  A longer lap will make a stronger joint, at some point it is going to be as strong as the plywood itself.  I have no idea how to calculate the required length.  It probably is going to be seat-of-the-pants engineering.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.