Wiring shop for 220
Hmm good point and actually I haven't tried it. They're all 3hp but I (foolishly) hadn't considered load. I can't imagine I've ever come close to fully loading the jointer!
-Marc

I have 4 machines on 1 20A /240 circuit (2@2HP, 2@3HP).  Even leaving one or two idling while using another, I've never tripped a breaker.  Done by an electrician (I've learned the hard way that doesn't necessarily mean its up to code).

In your application it might work to make up an extension cord using 12G wire.
Make a 220 volt extension cord.  How far away from your 220 volt outlet do you think you will be? How common of a practice will this be?
You can also wire  220 VAC circuit to a duplex receptacle (yes - they do make them)
All of my 220 tools have a 10 foot extension cord.  Once when my dust collector was offline I ganged up a few of these extension cords to allow my planer to be used out in the driveway dust fly away style.  I was glad I had the cords handy for that situation.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I don't like super-long cords, I'd rather have the wires in the wall.  part of that is with a combo wood/metal shop, the chips aren't always easy to control, and I don't want to cut up any 240 v extensions.
Make up a 240V extension cord.

When you find you haven't moved the machine in a year, install a permanent outlet.