Fastest, most efficent way to cut a dado.
(06-24-2017, 04:54 PM)mission17 Wrote: Just an update:
-cut 1600' linear feet of 1/4" deep by 1-1/2" wide dado (techically, 1600' of 1" wide and 1600' of 1/2" wide)
-used a craftsman molding head on an older Ryobi Saw System. This worked wonderfully! It took roughly 4 hours total to make the cuts. This was a test order. If we get the whole contract, we will want to go to a single pass cut.
 We are going to try (just to see if it'll work) mounting 2 routers in-line to eliminate flipping the board end to end. If not, probably a shaper.

One thing we are likely to invest in is a power feed. Kinda got my eye on the Grizzly Baby power feed G4073. Anyone use one?

you are likely going to need at least 1/2 hp to make the power feed work. 

A few bucks more up front but you will be happier when the job is done in less time 

JME 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Might you be better off with a 12" Woodmaster molder?
Make one pass after it's set up.
Won't have to mess with a power feeder on a shaper.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Curious as to your recommendation:
- cutting 1/4" deep by 1-1/2" wide in 5/4"x6"x24" SYP. Actually our intial set up will be a 1" cut then a 1/2" cut.
That Baby Grizzly wouldn't handle that? I really don't know much about power feeds.
Oh, I'd LOVE a Woodmaster!!! But that's about $3000 that this job can't absorb.
It may handle it, at times, but you won't be happy with that setup, especially in a production setup.

3 grand? My 12" wasn't near that. My 18" was, with all the extra's.
Call woodmaster, they always have sales, special deals. Sometimes they have demonstrators/returns/repo's.

Buy one 1-1/2" wide cutter, and make one pass and be done with that 1600' in an hour or so.
Mount 2 cutters in there, and run 2 at a time.
Wink
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Running 2 at a time would be awesome!
I'm going to do a bit more research on Woodmaster deals. The $3k came from website.
It _might_ handle it but the speed and the lack of power are against you with the Baby feeder. 

You want a production run that does not put you to sleep feeding stock. 

BF are toys for those who have no experience or desire to move things along. 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(06-25-2017, 12:28 PM)mission17 Wrote: Running 2 at a time would be awesome!
 I'm going to do a bit more research on Woodmaster deals. The $3k came from website.

All you need is the machine only. It comes with the planer head. Remove the 12" (4) knives and order your straight cut knife, and tell them you need the gibs and balance weights for them. Put the new knife in the same head.
You don't need the molding shaft accessory.

You don't need any other accessory. Basic machine will keep your cost down.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020