10" Vs. 12" miter saw, sliding VS. non-sliding what do you use?
I have a 12" Makita non-slider and a couple of older 10" non-sliders.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1221-12-...B0000DD5S7
I recommend a good quality 12" ras. My 10" miter saw is stored away. My Dewalt 7790, 12" does 95% of my cross cuts. Someone mentioned not cutting Dado's with a ras ? I do it all the time. A simple stop collar on the column does it. A hose clamp would even work. An old 10" Craftsman ras will get you by. But àn old good quality (Dewalt and Delta to name 2) Is far superior.
If you buy an old CM ras, and it's included in the recall, you can use it until a better saw comes along, and send the old motor in for $100.
Don’t forget the hitachi 12 compact. Lows has it for 299 right now I think. My don has one and it’s rally nice. Takes about 32” off the wall max. It’s about a foot less space than my rigid 12 slider.
Thanks
Gary
(11-25-2018, 06:02 PM)garmar60 Wrote: Don’t forget the hitachi 12 compact. Lows has it for 299 right now I think. My don has one and it’s rally nice. Takes about 32” off the wall max. It’s about a foot less space than my rigid 12 slider.
Thanks
Gary

I'm in the non sliding camp, and Lowes has the Dewalt 12" on sale for $199, hell of a deal.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Watch CL -- I picked up a 14" DeWalt RAS cheap.  Between it and my Bosch 10" slider the Rigid 12" CMS I got at an estate sale is going to find a new home
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
For the last decade, I've used a Milwaukee 12" slider that Home Depot absolutely blew out one Christmas at something like $220. For the price, I have no complaints. Before that, I used a Dewalt 12" double bevel compound miter (non-sliding), and was perfectly well served by it. In fact, after 10 years of lugging two compound miters from place to place, I just gave my Dewalt to my neighbor. The sliding capacity is nice, but I never felt underserved with the Dewalt 12" non-slider.

[Image: eyes03.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I would dearly miss my 12” crosscut capacity on my slider. I don’t like cross cutting on my TS as the Dewalt is dead nuts accurate every time and the TS remains free for quicker back and forth work.

If It were me, I'd stick with the 12" saw, that way you won't have seller's remorse. I finally bought an Hitachi C12RSH2 yesterday.   Wanted one of these Hitachi's for quite a few years, and with the "-2" being about $100 less than the non "-2", I finally bought.  
[Image: P1010006-L.jpg]

It replaces an old private labeled 8-1/2" Makita I've had for the last 20 years.  

The old saw has been a good one, just that it was often too small and other solutions had to be used.  

Now I have to make a few changes in the raised portion of the table to make it fit, since the new one is about six inches wider.   Fortunately the thing will just fit under the hood.

[Image: P1010002-L.jpg]
Old thread.....

Have 3 dewalts.
1 DW705 12" non slider
2 DW708 12" sliders

My non slider is the traveling saw.
The sliders are shop saws.
If.....*IF*.....I had to give one up, it would be the non slider, even though the sliders are bigger, bulkier, and heavier to pack around and sit on a stand if you have to move it.
I have plenty of room in the shop for big sliders, so no problem there.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020