Shop walls, shiplap
I'm going to be installing shiplap or tongue and groove Pine on the walls of my shop. Given that a tool chest or clamp rack weigh significantly more than a typical household picture frame how should I install this?

I'm doing it mainly for looks and to keep dust/chips out of the insulation but it would also be nice to be able to hang things wherever I want. I don't particularly like then thought of seeing screws everywhere but I'm worried nails would pull out. What's the proper method for this stuff?
-Marc

How about French cleats?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

This  ^ ^ ^ ^

Cleats firmly screwed into studs to hang tool cabinets or large saw tills, etc, of any significant weight.  Light stuff, right to the boards.  Nails are ok, and if you're worried, some construction adhesive to back up nails.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Anything heavy should be on cleats or some fastener into studs.  You could also install blocking at all locations needed before you panel.

I finished my shop with T&G paneling and to both aid in nailing the paneling (I wanted the paneling vertical on the vertical studs)and to allow for hanging pretty much anything anywhere I first sheathed the walls with OSB.  The paneling went over the OSB.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(05-09-2017, 07:24 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Anything heavy should be on cleats or some fastener into studs.  You could also install blocking at all locations needed before you panel.

I finished my shop with T&G paneling and to both aid in nailing the paneling (I wanted the paneling vertical on the vertical studs)and to allow for hanging pretty much anything anywhere I first sheathed the walls with OSB.  The paneling went over the OSB.

That would be my suggestion. 

I had ply on the walls of my old shop and my current shop is bigger but its a typical metal building with 2x2 welded steel on 5' centers. Can you say nowhere to mount anything on the walls, so its all on the floor...
I had my last shop with OSB also known as chipboard for walls, painted white.

It was really nice for hanging anything anywhere on walls, but even painted I think it's ugly.

I'm in the planning stage for my next shop and had strongly considered putting up 1/2" or possibly 3/4" plywood as wall covering, but cost would be fairly high. It would be nice to be able to unscrew a sheet of plywood to run wires etc, but I'm not sure how much of that I would actually do after initial configuration.

The most finished and versatile as well as most cost effective and easiest to fix or modify, and as such what I'll probably do, is thick drywall and a French cleat system into the studs.

Duke
I will be finishing my soon-to-be shop with plywood. At least for the bulk of stuff, no further support will be necessary.

This is Keith Rucker's new shop and the inspiration for the walls. Wish is could be used as inspiration for the whole shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pg98b_RQcs
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
you might want to highly consider the t&g over shiplap just for the hanging stuff on the wall thing.
This ^. 

T&G is definitely stronger but I would still hand heavy stuff off studs.
I had originally intended for t&g then found the shiplap which I liked the look of better. But if the result will be stronger then I may revert back to that.
-Marc