5ft round walnut table
This table is now in use at a restaurant in Santa Monica. It's five feet round, 1 1/2 in thick, finished with walnut stain and conversion varnish.

The glue up was done with 3/4 boards in five separate parts which were then glued together. Then I added a square piece of plywood for underside support and added the walnut cutoffs to fill the edges. The edge was cut with a jig saw then routed using a center pivot point. Over/under passes with a rounder bit completed the edge work. I don't use a scraper much but found it worked better over a large surface than my big fat green sander. Dark stain really shows where the sanding swirls are. The scraper saved me.

There are eight screws to attach the heavy metal base. This completes all tables on their mezzanine.

Attached Files Image(s)

Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Love it. Clever way to double the thickness. I wouldn't have thought of that. Of course, I'm not the bar you want to measure yourself against...

Great job.
[Image: sweet-tooth.jpg]

SWEET .  Love me some Walnut .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Nice table Harold. Scrapers really are a tool everyone should be familiar with. Time savers
Yes
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
i am curious as to you dealt with the wood movement issue when attaching the plywood to the walnut
(05-10-2017, 07:38 AM)jgrogan Wrote: i am curious as to you dealt with the wood movement issue when attaching the plywood to the walnut

Not at all worried about it. The plywood is 3/4, the walnut is 3/4 inch. They are glued and screwed to one another. Larger point is the environment. The restaurant atmosphere is very consistent year 'round. If this thing doesn't explode inside of three months, it probably never will. If it does, I'll make them another and we'll have a story to tell.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Looks great, Harold!
Yes

Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."