Design - Seating Charrette
In design, the idiom of ‘form follows function’ serves to ground artistic license. 

Art can be non-functional, but design must attend to a function. By definition a shelter must protect the occupants, but the form of the functional elements can vary as long as the purpose is not lost. Constraints of practicality, structure, safety, artifice, and fashion modify the design. Identifying the constraints is key to well done work. The above noted shelter may, or may not, protect the occupants very well.

Some examples follow. There are no perfect designs but resolving the constraints makes a design better and more pleasing. Also, visa versa. This missive reflects my random thoughts. Make your own known. 

Seating-  

This works round the fire pit… [Image: 2-Coffee-Table_zpsxeyyndey.jpg] ..… and indoors. However, constraints to indoor use?

When firewood is needed, grab these…. [Image: vintage-folding-wood-stools-rustic-camp-...pf7r6y.jpg]I’ve used them when camping all my life; until those bulky aluminum things, that might unfold to sit in, replaced the uncomplicated simplicity. I don’t know about house décor….

Made of metal the hot seat of pleasant weather …. [Image: NotForHomeless_zpssktrdgkm.jpg] discourages skateboarders, the homeless, and … toasting buttocks. 

Going indoors … [Image: GoodDesignTrumpsFashion-I%20Wonder_zps1gtxhyqy.jpg]…….. Next.

Since the last quarter of the 20th century CAD and design software have permitted twists in wood manipulation to evolve. Designers can push the functional envelope to greater extremes.

[Image: JosephWalsh3_zps7gez9bnr.jpg]  Now, the questions are, art? Or, lighting manipulating the design? Maybe, it is even comfortable? Can you actually sit in it?
(Image credit: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodwo...ity-part-1)

One more? ....

[Image: Uncomfortable_Chairs_4a_zpsphy08gpi.jpg]
I believe studio furniture arose when art collectors started being interested in furnishings. Just my observations, I certainly have no credentials to back that up.

I enjoy looking at studio furniture even though I'm never going to build any. There's just no telling where ideas will come from.

As a for-instance I have saved the last image in your post. Why? My soon-to-be son is interested in marine biology and fashion design.
If he ever directly draws design influences from his marine biology knowledge, I'll show him this image.
There are all kinds of spikey marine life that could have inspired the chair.
Build what you want or can sell. The rest don't matter
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I am forced to assume that there is a place for uncomfortable barely functional furniture. The entrance lobby to the advertising firm wants an image presented and a slightly uncomfortable seat that projects style like that swoopy thing above might be just the ticket for them. It sure is fragile territory though.

Have you noticed that the most interesting things are usually at the margins?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I intentionally posted "extremes" of style and function in sitting elements. As extremes it is quite hard to criticize individual subjects. They all have quirks but mostly work. I seem to recall the source of the last saying the chair was comfortable. Yah....Shuur? Five different dining chairs are easier to pick apart, probably because there is a way to compare differences. Anyway...

In university I had a maple stump for a bedside table. It leaked ... fungus, mushrooms, mold, bugs and water. I tried a few cans of various poisons, but food was more important, so the stump was rolled out. Just saying, natural stuff is cool, solid, and potentially messy if you are messy.

The camp stools--all I know them as--are the all time design award winner for furniture. Dead simple, compact, and last forever.. Until the "supersize it" generations with heart issues, diabetes, and x-morbidities trundled onto the scene. I actually found a couple buried under about 6 broken aluminum camp chairs in the garage a couple months ago. This is what Schwarz should publish rather than those three spears stabbing your butt.

The green gas line was designed specifically to prevent people from sleeping on the furniture, and discourage skateboarders. They had to come back and cap the ends of the tube. Metal is notorious for getting hot enough to fry eggs. You can't have everything.

We have wing chairs, and never use them. 

I was unhappy to miss posting a three-leg chair, then started looking at Walsh's and realized it was. This piece is the one of the group that I could rip apart critically without guilt. But won't. It's purpose is decoration; nothing more.

Next time I will pick some stinkers. People like them better.