Angle Drill for Sanding
What brand of angle or close quarters drill do folks recommend for bowl sanding? They're getting tough to find information on them is even tougher. Suggestions?
Jason

I just remove the tail stock and use a regular straight drill.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I've been using the Milwaukee for six or more years; really like the variable speed and reverse options.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Cheapie Harbor Freight. On sale usually for $15. Works fine for sanding. Don't think I would ever want to use for drilling,but for sanding works fine. Has a reverse. Been using mine for about 5years and still working good. At that price I would definitly buy another one if this one dies.
I like the flex shaft and Maytag motor setup for my work.  The shaft allows me to use the tool rest to support it as if I were turning, so I don't have a sore forearm, even when I do four or five pieces in a day.  I tried drill motors of the pistol ans sidewinder type, but having to support them on a fully extended arm led me to rest and stabilize the disk on the work, which increased friction and heat.  With the toolrest, I can skim with almost no support on a mounted piece, and sand one-handed with the piece in my lap for warp and go types.

http://vid35.photobucket.com/albums/d160...Sand-1.mp4
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I use both Eddie Castelin's self-powered sander (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1DR3Ptv...e=youtu.be to see how to make it) and a $13 air-powered angle grinder from Harbor Freight (see https://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-...32046.html)

These, along with the 2" sanding disks, innerface pads, and backup pads from Vince Welch (http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/store/), I'm having no trouble making sawdust to my satisfaction.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(05-10-2017, 12:02 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Cheapie  Harbor Freight. On sale usually for $15. Works fine for sanding. Don't think I would ever want to use for drilling,but for sanding works fine. Has a reverse. Been using mine for about 5years and still working good. At that price I would definitly buy another one if this one dies.

We've been using the same, wear them out after a few years and buy another.
We buy them on sale plus a 20% off coupon. Makes them real cheap.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
(05-10-2017, 11:08 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I've been using the Milwaukee for six or more years; really like the variable speed and reverse options.

Same here.  Couldn't be happier.  I went through 2 HF freights before I got the Milwaukee.
HF - have 2 the first I destroyed by using a hole saw in confined area. Fixed by by passing speed reduction gears and now still use it as high speed sander.  Bough second one to use normally. Like them because the fan for motor is in at opposite end from drill chuck and not drawing as much dust into motor-- at least that's my opinion.
Smile 
Bob.
(05-10-2017, 09:43 AM)Jason28 Wrote: What brand of angle or close quarters drill do folks recommend for bowl sanding? They're getting tough to find information on them is even tougher. Suggestions?

I use an air-powered random orbital sander. The one that I have is the Grex 105* offset. I usually use a 3" disk on it. I especially like the Abranet disks for sanding wood. They are not as good on lacquer until the lacquer is fully cured.

Don't forget to put a couple of drops of appropriate oil in the air tool before each use.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.