Wood disks and epoxy
A friend wants to do a table top- small log cut in disks, mounted on plywood, covered with epoxy. I have done a couple of this kind of thing so the epoxy part is under control. My question is about the wood.

To avoid the wood splitting and cracking I see cutting them just before the epoxy pour. Seal the backs, glue or nail them in place. Then pour.

The question is- will the moisture in the wood be ok? Basically it will be encapsulated in the wood. Any long term concerns?

I would do a thin layer of epoxy on the plywood first so the wood doesn't have a direct contact with the plywood. Then as you stated. Cut the discs, seal them and pour epoxy. The moister shouldn't be an issue since it won't be able to dry or escape. Without oxygen I don't see how anything can grow in them

Edited to ask question. How thick will the disks be?
Thanks. I assume the discs will be fairly thin. 1 inch mac

Type of wood might make a difference too. Some species you can cut small cookies like that, and have them dry intact, others are going to crack every time. 

I'd feel a lot more comfortable using dry wood, and small 1" cookies would dry pretty quick  (couple of weeks?) So you could experiment with a couple of different species and find the better ones? Getting them down below 20% moisture would mean you are safe from any anaerobic decay that might occur in wet wood, even if it's sealed up in epoxy.