Castanets
My daughter's band teacher needs some table castanets made. She has a regular set of castanets that will be used. I just need to make the bottom board. How would you make the divots? I could see doing it with multiple forstner bits but that would be a step not smooth. Just trying to see what I can provide in a short period.

[Image: basic-beat-mounted-table-castanets.jpg]
What's the diameter? Maybe a large core box bit.
I thought of that also but I think they are about an inch in diameter. I am still waiting on the specific dimensions.
Do you think it would be possible to buy a cheap spade bit that is the correct diameter and regrind it to the shape you want?  I don't know how it would work without the centering point but maybe you could eliminate the point completely in the grinding process.  Or if it wanders too much without the point then maybe could just plug the bottom of the hole.  No experience with this - just throwing out an idea.
(05-11-2017, 11:23 AM)BrentDH Wrote:   Or if it wanders too much without the point then maybe could just plug the bottom of the hole. 

Which made me think of either chucking it in a lathe and turning the two divots (probably need to make a fixture or use a very small faceplate), or turning 'plugs', round or square, that could be inserted into holes (round) or be built into a glued-up assembly (square), like a cutting board.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
You can get core box router bits an inch or larger...I'd hog out as much as possible with a couple forstners first.
Maybe an inexpensive cove raised panel bit in a router table would work. Do half of each depressed area at a time and then glue the halves together. 

https://www.amazon.com/Yonico-12131-Diam...router+bit
basically that is a Rosette with a simple dish profile.  Therefore, if you can find a raised panel bit with the right profile, chuck it in the drill press and slow it way down.  The idea of gouging out the major portion with forstner bits ahead of time sounds like a brilliant idea.

[Image: rosette2.jpg]
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Round nose router bits. 1/8" to 2" diameter Buy them from Holbren, and say Hi to Brian, and tell them to give you your WoodNet discount. How  
Cool  is that? Buy what you want from a dealer who comes here, and get a discount. Win win win..........
Laugh  
Laugh  
Laugh

Use this bit safely with a plunge router and the stock FIRMLY clamped down. Go slow on the plunge, and your finish will be smoother. Depending on the wood some furring up of the grain will occur, harder the wood the less furring. Pine = quite a bit, but sand paper on a similarly shaped opposite makes for a quick clean up. Dremel and similar products all offer round headed shapes for sanding/stock removal. I like these on a Dremel tool The ball shape gets used a lot, and being able to change grits has advantages.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
As long as we're tossing ideas out, do you have a lathe available? Easy enough to start with two square boards, hollow the centers as needed on the lathe, then glue them together and shape as needed.