How much for a larger motor and VFD/Inverter? Cost? Advantage over new?
I agree with MM.  I would stick with your current motor and install a jack shaft and another set of pulleys, or install a Reeves type drive.  Either approach should be able to cut your speed by 5 - 10X and your torque will increase.  And you will need it for turning large diameter stuff.  I'm not sure but I think the required torque goes up with the square of the radius. 

John
Okay, you guys aren't going to believe what happened today. An opportunity jumped in my lap and I dove in. Old arn for almost nothing.

More later, probably in the WoodTurning Forum. I'll bug you guys up here for specifics after I get all the info gathered.

THANKS!!!!!  Your input was invaluable in my decision making.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Here's the new thread...

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7330178
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
That is awesome, congrats!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.