I just found another neat Youtube
Video on making a wood burner from a charging system.  I am just wondering if it can be used as a Lichtenberg burner?  Also it looks really really safe to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGa8LZGbTus

What do you guys think"
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin
That video is about using a car battery charger to power a traditional pyrography pen. It's output is around 12 volts. For fractal burning the transformer typically outputs in excess of 10,000 volts. The fact that you even asked this question scares me for you. Please reconsider getting involved in this fad.

fractal burning death

This is the third serious injury or death that I know personally, forget about it, please.
[url=http://www.union-bulletin.com/local/local-man-electrocuted-using-dangerous-wood-art-process/article_daf59a2a-3420-11e7-8508-c7eb2f3dc175.html][/url]
Steve K

Thanks Steve I did not plan on doing it for a while even if I had it.  It will be a year or more if I do, do one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(05-11-2017, 08:50 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Video on making a wood burner from a charging system.  I am just wondering if it can be used as a Lichtenberg burner?  Also it looks really really safe to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGa8LZGbTus

What do you guys think"
Arlin, I believe I have found an even easier way of building a burner using an old laptop power supply/charger....Plug it into a variable speed control from Harbor Freight to regulate and adjust the heat..Could also use a light dimmer switch....I haven't made one yet because I already have one, but I did buy two power supplies from Goodwill for a buck each..
Here's a shot of one I made over twenty years ago which uses a 12volt @2amps power transformer and a small Variac..It can go from stone cold to red hot in seconds and any heat in between..I bought the handpieces but I could have made them if I chose to..I do make the Nichrome wire tips tho..

[Image: P1020903.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

If I remember right you shown this before and I can not wait until you make us one. 
Yes   I just looked on ebay for nichrome wire so I can make several types of tips but which gauges would be best to use and ones not to use?

How hard is it to change tips or wire?

(05-12-2017, 05:26 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If I remember right you shown this before and I can not wait until you make us one. 
Yes   I just looked on ebay for nichrome wire so I can make several types of tips but which gauges would be best to use and ones not to use?

How hard is it to change tips or wire?
Yep..I posted the pic before in handtools...For the wire, you could probably use the round nichrome from an old electric heater which you may find at a thrift store That's what I used initially..But I recently bought two small rolls of it off of ebay and it was 22 and 26ga.IIRC..You could just use 22ga. IIRC I found it in the smoking paraphernalia on ebay..
...If I get to feeling a little better, I may be able to get the parts assembled with instructions and you fellows can put one together, Arlin.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Arlin forget this idea.  I think its the amps that kill a person.  This setup has way too many amps.  My commercial fractal burner has I think 30 milli-amps and it will bite you.  This set up for fractal burning will trip the breaker as well.
A grief shared is half-grief. A joy shared is twice joy.