Plumbing gotcha---last two jobs were too easy
Bought house in 2008. Was repo. Spent a month rehabbing before moving in and years finessing the rehab.

Changed the water heater in 2009 ---Bradford White. Found leaks and seeps two days ago, fixed the leak, but not the seep. Seeping from the bases of the inlet fittings(cold water in/hot water out)
Upset 

Replaced with a Rheem with a 9 years warranty.

New model is 4" taller than the old one. Piece of cake.

Went to store, bought all the fittings I would need.

Yeah, right!

That was trip one.
Crazy

One union would not solder---had too much water dripping through the pipe---did not have compression union. Trip two.

1/2" copper pipe, bought 1/2" brass compression fitting. Trip Three---needed a 5/8" brass compression fitting.

turn water on---seeps at the inlet/outlets---new fittings w/pipe thread. Used pipe dope---did not seal. Trip four to get thread tape---could not find any in plumbing box/supplies.

Tape seeping fittings, turn on water---no seeps/leaks/geysers!

Test gas fittings, no leaks.

Initiate starting sequence---fires up. Set dial on low heat---selections are Vac, Low, Medium, A, B, C, and Hi.

Hour later, only warm water----bite bullet, read destructions---Low  is 110°. Medium is 125°. A is 135, B is 140, C is 145, Hi is Burn the Heck outa you!
Big eek
Big eek Reset the dial to Medium.

Just checked----=BINGO!

Nothing left to replace---new furnace last week---A/C repair last year, new washer/dryer three years ago, dishwasher is a Bosch and just fine.

Yeah, Right!
Uhoh
Uhoh
I told ya you weren't done!  The Plumbing Gods do not take kindly to one-trip fixes.  They extract their penance by requiring at least 3 trips to punish you for thinking you got it in one!

Keep an eye on it, they may not be done with you yet.

Big Grin
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
BTDT. But did it at lomls house in Cleveland before she sold it. Februrary and cold... Was working on stuff all day with the WH being the last thing. Was a bear to get the old one out past the furnace and all the plumbing and valves... Got it in and cranked it to 145 and i took a shower a half hour after install and easily had enough hot water. So much faster than electric... Remember 140* is the minimum safe temp for waterheaters to kill off legionella.  

When doing plumbing i buy 3 of everything i might need and that builds up my supplies with the leftovers...
I don't get it, sounds like a normal plumbing job to me!
Yes
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.