How do I square up a large slab?
Is there a formula or method to square the ends of a large live edge slab? I have a large slab with live edges. So they aren't flat enough to but a square against. It's a little over 7 feet long and 40 inches wide. I need to square the ends. It's going to be a dining room table. One end is almost square but I can tell that it's not. The other end is various lengths

So how can I make the ends square enough so it's not a trapezoid? Or parallegram? Or whatever you call it

Thanks

Robert
put parallel lines on the slab along the length on both sides then layout the end cuts from those lines.

that is the easiest IME 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks Joe. I was overthinking it wasn't I?  Lol
(05-13-2017, 10:54 AM)Wipedout Wrote: Thanks Joe. I was overthinking it wasn't I?  Lol

Just a little maybe 
Laugh
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I lay a plank down the middle of the slab and align it to the middle of each end. Then square off from that with a big builders square.

I figure the centre line of slab is what the eye is going to judge "squareness" of the table off, as the live edge corners aren't going to 90 deg except by chance.
With a level
Absolutely the best use of a tracksaw, and can be done with a circular saw and shoe jig. Having a semi flat surface to cut along helps. Once you have an edge, you can joint that, then face joint, or slab off slices on a bandsaw, and you are going.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Like what JGrout said. Rather than a framing square I've used the 3-4-5 triangle method to mark the perpendicular lines.

Will rough cut with a circular saw, then finish with a flush trim router bit riding along a flush cut jig.

Mike
I have seen people use a sled to create one straight line.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Joe's method worked just fine

Thanks all