How to pretty up a hardwood floor?
I am in the planning stages for laying a hardwood floor in our office (bedroom).  I've done a couple before and have good results.  I have some red oak, white oak, hickory, and may find or make others.   I will probably do a border with different species, and weave the corners.  I also would like to construct a medallion for the center, not huge, but medium size.  Room is about 14'x 14'.

I am looking for ideas how to make a medallion, and other ideas to dress up the room.  I just like to take things up a notch or two.  Not to show off, but rather get away from the real common things.  I don't mind spending time to make something real nice.  I'm hoping fellow members appreciate what I am saying and have suggestions.

Thanks!
I've seen endgrain floors look nice. 

Crotch wood medallion. 

I confess that my favorite might be perfectly quartersawn white oak and just let the wood do the talking.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure