Stanley #80 has changed my life
(05-15-2017, 09:48 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I've been using a card scraper for a few years and have always been happy with the results but if it's big project it's a real pain in the thumbs. Its also really tricky to use on the narrow side of a board. The 80 is comparativly effortless to use and with the thicker steel, it seems to hold its burr a lot longer. It's not a total replacment for the card scraper but close. I'd love to try out a scraper plane. I've never came across an old stanley or Sargent but I've seen the modern iterations. If I were to drop the cash on a LV or LN variety a LA jack would come first.

Last month I let this one go for $38, due to holes in the sole, but the holes don't affect use and it will do the job.  Not much to go wrong with these mechanically.  Watch the S&S as they come up from time to time from any number of tool mongers . . . . 
Laugh

[Image: 33843531930_9bdb07575a_b.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
mr-skittle said, " If I were to drop the cash on a LV or LN variety a LA jack would come first."

That would be a wise choice, for sure. I use my LN low angle jack more than any other plane in my shop, except perhaps my little 103 block plane.
(05-16-2017, 07:02 AM)Admiral Wrote: Last month I let this one go for $38, due to holes in the sole, but the holes don't affect use and it will do the job.  Not much to go wrong with these mechanically.  Watch the S&S as they come up from time to time from any number of tool mongers . . . . 
Laugh

[Image: 33843531930_9bdb07575a_b.jpg]
IF I remember correctly...those two  holes showing were for a Rosewood sole to be installed.   Bolts were screwed ito inserts in those soles.   Let me guess...there were two more behind the handle....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Had all shown here. For work nothing beats the 12. Made by Stanley, Sargent.. 112 a close second.
David from Cleveland, Ohio
I have a 12 and an 80.  Never put in the time to figure out how to tune them up.  Probably worth spending some time on utube.  I always wanted a 112, but it hasn't been a priority on the want list.
The 12-1/2 was intended to have a rosewood sole.  I don't remember if the casting was altered to say "12-1/2" or if it still said "12".  I sort of remember that the 12-1/2 is more rare.

One could modify a 12 to take blocks on the sole but there are other differences in the casting such as the size of the mouth.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(05-17-2017, 11:33 AM)Rob Young Wrote: One could modify a 12 to take blocks on the sole but there are other differences in the casting such as the size of the mouth.

That's what the prior owner did with the one I pictured above.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-16-2017, 04:23 AM)Tony Z Wrote: My question is, what are the advantages to a thicker blade? It would seem to me many of the advantages of a card scraper would be lost (same with the #80, with the original blade, it can be "flexed"). Any guidance what I'm missing?

Tony, a 112 doesn't allow for flexing the blade, or at least my LN clone doesn't. Consequently a thin blade in one if these planes is prone to chatter. The very thick blade on my LN doesn't chatter.
Do you roll a burr on the blade of a scraper plane the way you do on a card scraper or the #80?
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(05-18-2017, 10:01 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Tony, a 112 doesn't allow for flexing the blade, or at least my LN clone doesn't. Consequently a thin blade in one if these planes is prone to chatter. The very thick blade on my LN doesn't chatter.

The 112 does not flex the blade. Chatter is dealt with by various means, among them is altering the angle of attack.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin