RUH ROH! Shipping damage
I was able to get the tools I ordered from Grizzly transferred from work to my new shop today. I had reported to Grizzly CS the day it was received the crate was damaged and there was a hole in it and they filed an action report on my order. I didn't think based on where the hole was that there was going to be anything wrong and I certainly did not expect to find this when I took the top of the crate off:

[Image: damage.jpg]

The table casting was broken off. The amount of force it must have taken to do this had to be been pretty high. I emailed the photo to the freight action number and will call first thing Monday. I requested a full replacement of the planer. There is no telling what other hidden damage could have occurred. That amount of force could have bent the support columns or misaligned one of the shafts. 

Has anyone else experienced any major damage in shipping from Grizzly. What was your experience in reaching an amicable resolution? Do you think Grizzly will insist on repair over replacement?

Tom
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
Each shipment and order has its own story.  Having dealt with grizzly since they opened, I have always had nothing but excellent service, so don't worry, just one step at a time.
That's normal for truck shipping. The forklift guys dont care what happens to anything. Grizzly is good about taking care of it i just hope they have another in stock.
My cabinet saw fence box was skewered pretty good when I bought it almost a year ago. They were fine to deal with. They sent out all the parts I needed and then when I realized I needed something else down the line that wasn't evident at first they had no issues sending that out as well.
-Marc

Just got a GO453Z It was on a small skid from the factory, that was on a larger skid so the outside of the tool, and small skid were well within the larger skid. That way even if idiots were slamming the tools together all they could do is nick the edges of the bigger skid. In my case the bigger skid was as pristine as the plywood box that enclosed the entire thing. Took the box off and it was looking good underneath. Big Jointer came a few years ago, wrapped the same. also no injuries. Probably anyone shipping stuff has occasional. We hear from some of them, however there are scads of Griz owners here who had uneventful deliveries just like I have.

I have had a number of attempts of large tool purchases from Amazon, and all have ended with unusable machines that I returned. Those all came via XYZ name shippers, so far all of my Griz tools have come on UPS long trucks. I think the shipper is important. Did you damaged Griz come via UPS?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I had some minor damage on one crate but that was all and I did report it with no damage just so Grizzly would know about how the shipper is or might be.

Some employee is just dumb and thought to hide his mistake so he does not get fired.
Mad
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
My other 4 tools came in just fine at the same time and I have had other Grizzly tools I bought new in the past for my old shop. Nothing has ever come in damaged before. It is only this onetool. The reason I'm concerned is it would be a major disassembly job to repair it, and the only way I would even consider agreeing to a field repair is if they sent a couple of technicians to do it for me. I will not attempt it myself. I don't have the alignment tools and I won't take responsibility for it anyway. I like Grizzly and I want to continue doing business with them but they need to step up and replace this one and not attempt a field repair. As far as I am concerned at this point, if Grizzly insists on repairing it they can duke it out with American Express.
(05-14-2017, 12:56 PM)Steve N Wrote: Just got a GO453Z It was on a small skid from the factory, that was on a larger skid so the outside of the tool, and small skid were well within the larger skid. That way even if idiots were slamming the tools together all they could do is nick the edges of the bigger skid. In my case the bigger skid was as pristine as the plywood box that enclosed the entire thing. Took the box off and it was looking good underneath. Big Jointer came a few years ago, wrapped the same. also no injuries. Probably anyone shipping stuff has occasional. We hear from some of them, however there are scads of Griz owners here who had uneventful deliveries just like I have.

I have had a number of attempts of large tool purchases from Amazon, and all have ended with unusable machines that I returned. Those all came via XYZ name shippers, so far all of my Griz tools have come on UPS long trucks. I think the shipper is important. Did you damaged Griz come via UPS?

Yes UPS Freight. I had them delivered to where I work. We have multiple receiving docks, forklifts, tow motors as well as hand pallet jacks. Our dock guys are pros and deal with fragile stuff all the time. The entire receiving dock knew my tools were coming and took extra special care with them. After pondering it, my best guess is that the carrier backed into the crate with a fudge lift and the impact bent the plywood and smashed the table casting. Something else poked the hole above the casting. The two brown spots are where the thicker sides of the casting meet the plywood. Those mostly survived the impact but the surface between them snapped off at the edge.

[Image: cratedamage.jpg]
I've never heard of Grizzly doing field repairs.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'm surprised you haven't got a tesolution to this yet. They were johnny on the spot when contacted them about my issues.
-Marc