Grizzly "Workmate" clone 30 bux
I have 2 of the model 200. Be careful if you get multiple of the same model number. Two of mine are the same height, the 3rd is a different height. It's very sturdy. My first one was from the 80's.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(05-17-2017, 07:44 PM)museumguy Wrote: I have 2 of the model 200. Be careful if you get multiple of the same model number. Two of mine are the same height, the 3rd is a different height. It's very sturdy. My first one was from the 80's.

Yup, I've got 2, different heights.  
Upset

Ed
(05-17-2017, 06:14 PM)Bach1750 Wrote: How can you tell the nicer older models from the newer?  Are there model numbers to look for?  Thanks.

I believe there's actually a type study on them, in general, the earlier the more desirable as they got cheapened as the years went on.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
In my opinion, the best are the ones with the aluminium frame members, like this:

[Image: FTISRSJGTKH9W16.MEDIUM.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I bought one of the early aluminum frame Workmates off of Ebay a while ago.  I paid a pretty price but it's worth it for the light weight versus the steel versions.  It's much easier to haul around and set up and I like the thinner frame.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
There is a pretty interesting history of the Workmate in (IIRC) Scott Landis's book on workbenches.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have the steel version of the B & D Workmate that I purchased 40 years ago. Still going strong. Only thing I have done is replace the boards.

A few years ago I bought a Workmate for my brother. I didn't know they had downgraded the product so when we opened the box I was very disappointed. When compared to mine the new ones look like they are made from Campbell's Soup cans. And I say that with deep apologies to the Campbell's Soup Company.

I believe it was on this forum I seen this comment about the Black & Decker Workmate. I saved it and thought it might be worth posting again.

Bill

Here is the post --

I love seeing all the positive comments about the Workmate as I was the Markeeting Mgr. for the Professsional Division when the first 6-units were imported from England. I thought it was great but corporate thinking at the time was if it doesn’t have a motor or attach to a tool with a motor, we don’t need it, The President, Pat McDonough gave a few of us in marketing units to use and familiarize ourselves with. But, I was the only one who liked it and saw major possibilities for sales. The original units were made in England using all aluminum castings and were beauties to behold. FYI, the UK company projected sales of 50,000 pieces the first year at the US equivalent of $85, a large chuunk of income over there then and lo and behold they sold 3oo,ooo pieces. When I got mine I had it included in equipment to be shipped to a series of regional sales meeting around the country,,,to be used as a prop for the introduction of the Mod 4, cordless tool line to the sales force. (Mod 4 was the first commercially available line of Cordless tools) I got laughed at for using it to hold wood, steel & aluminum samples for the salesmen to drill holes in using the new tools. But, I got the last laugh when in a 5,ooo unit market test in Dallas, they evaporated off the shelves overnight. I was the first WorkMate champion in the company but as soon as they started selling our President took it away from me and the Professional Division and forced the Home Products guys to take it over, The rest is history as Black & Decker had to build 3 mfg plants to keep up with demand. I still have one of the original 6 and it needs restoration but it is a real nice piece of Black & Decker history. You have to understand corporate thinking frowned on any new product that didn’t use a Black & Decker electric motor so to force it through and get the clearances needed for me to use it in sales meetings, even as a prop, was quite a feat of which I am very proud, SO yes, these many years later, I am thrilled to know that my gut instinct was right. You guys like it and it’s still one heck of a product!
Mine is easily 40 years old, and I still mistreat it all the time. Old girl just refuses to die, heck she doesn't even get sick.

I just saw the e-mail, and thought everybody gets one of these, I'll just pass it along, never anticipated a 2 pager
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks for showing this.

I need to get me one and one for my Grandson who I have given some hand tools to and he wants a saw and this would be perfect.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin I think it might already be over. When I got the e-mail the special was only a few days long. Someone said the HF bench was the same, if you have a HF nearby you could look at it, and see if it was well made enough to mess with. I think most of those who replied had older ones, which like everything were made like tanks
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW