Xacta saw
My at least 17 YO right tilt 50" Xacta saw is needing arbor bearings for the third time.  Like before I turn it on again.  Otherwise, it's been a good unit.  That said, LOML figures 17 years is a good run... and doesn't seem opposed to replacing it.  I've always preferred a right tilt, and would go that way again if anybody's still making one.   Always kinda figured if I bought new it would be a Sawstop, but I'm not doing this for money anymore, so I feel bad about spending that much.  Not a fan of Grizzly saws.  Are the Unisaws still good?
fix your saw and go buy something else you need  
Wink
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Yea. Bearings are much cheaper than a new saw.

Wondering why the bearings are going south on you. My 1023 Griz has the originals. Purchased in 95 or 96.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yeah well, I have it torn down now and it's a much bigger pain than I remember. But yeah...$30 in bearings is a far cry from a $2100 PM1000 which is what I'd get.  I'm not cutting big mesquite anymore, so the power wouldn't be an issue very often.  If ever.
(05-15-2017, 07:45 PM)KC Wrote: Yeah well, I have it torn down now and it's a much bigger pain than I remember. But yeah...$30 in bearings is a far cry from a $2100 PM1000 which is what I'd get.  I'm not cutting big mesquite anymore, so the power wouldn't be an issue very often.  If ever.

so what is really going on? are they truly grinding themselves to death or just noisy like at startup? 

You may have a valid issue but like Steve I have not replaced bearings in my saw yet and it was bought in 1988 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(05-15-2017, 01:20 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Wondering why the bearings are going south on you. 

I agree, there must be something causing your bearing failures. I spent some time checking the Internet and I can't find any history of Xacta bearing problems, in fact, the saw gets very good reviews. Have you talked to the Jet techs about the problem? You could post your question over at Practical Machinist to see if the pros have any ideas.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/
the bearing at the far end of the arbor assembly (toward the motor) was clearly bad.  Haven't gotten the one off the blade end yet.  It has a bit of resistance, but not as bad as in the past. 

Grizzly has a nice YouTube video on replacing these on a 1023Z.  I've done it on that saw as well.  Maybe it's me.  
Laugh
I hear you about the right tilt. Alas I folded when I upgraded and got a left tilt. But I still don't like it!
-Marc

Belt or belts are too tight.
(05-16-2017, 10:14 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Belt or belts are too tight.

I don't think so.  But maybe.  Hard to tell now.  I got the flange-end bearing off last night.  It was intact and spins 'mostly' free, but will occasionally have a small 'catch'.  I might open it up later today and see what's inside.