PM 2800 dumb question.
I have a bit stuck in the chuck, as in I can't turn the chuck to loosen it.

If I'm holding the top ring, do I turn the bottom section clockwise or counter to loosen the chuck?

For a year it wasn't an issue; try one way then the other. Now that it's stuck...

TIA
This totally sounds like something I would do... Incidentally, I looked in the manual; figured surely it would tell us the answer...

Nope:

10.1 Installing bits Insert bit (not provided) into chuck jaws with about 1” insertion. When using a small bit, do not insert it so far that the jaws touch the flutes of the bit. Make sure bit is centered in chuck before tightening chuck. The chuck is a keyless model; simply rotate it by hand to tighten the bit.
clockwise is tighten counterclockwise is loosen on every keyless chuck I have . in your case it should be the same if you view the direction from the power ( the top of the DP)
That is what I am going to say is correct.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

That is how my PM 2800 tightens( right) and loosens (left)
And that's what worked late last night.

Thanks.