Articulated sanding arm
Another invention, but I can't figure it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnhdZh2E...uscomments

robo hippy
I will have to watch this when I get more gigabit to download this.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
We rigged up something similar when I was in the service to support ourselves (whole body, not just the arm) using roller skate wheels. Much cheaper than large bearings, and they hold a screw darn well in the wheel portion, if necessary, too. Pretty easy to mount a board to them. If you could find some roller skates or a skate board in a yard sale you'd be golden. Even new ones aren't expensive, though.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Familiar principle to me, who uses a flex shaft on the existing tool rest.  Easier on the operator's elbow and shoulder, and less likely to overheat as the paper need not be partially supported against the work to help.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Maybe 2 lazy susan bearings, top and bottom of the maple column connecting the 2 plywood sections? Or shorten/eliminate the column and use 1 lazy susan hardware? Lube everything that moves.

Here's an interesting piece of  hardware. I have no experience with it, just a google search .   http://www.hardwaretree.com/proddetail.p...SWIVELROL1
Those are interesting bearings. They look like the type you would insert into a table to slide things across it. They might be ideal for one that is a foot or two in diameter.... The problem with the lazy susan set ups, is that in order to get one heavy duty enough, you have to get one that is really big... Still working on it...

robo hippy
Recess those bearings with the housing flush to the surface of the column, leaving the bearing exposed. Top and bottom,with a sheet metal surface to ride on. The thickness of the exposed bearing and sheet metal would be around 1/4" thick. Recess the sheet metal to make the joint thinner. @  $ 0.65 each, put in as many as will fit.  Just a thought...
Making it from metal and using bearings would make it more stable.

On the end, one could try a rest for the arm/wrist from one of these bags used for gun range shooting. It would provide a steady where the woodworkers arm would stay put and provide a cushion for "all day comfort".

[Image: s7_229524_imageset_01?wid=300&hei=230&op_sharpen=1]
One turner on the AAW forums does have padded arm rests for when he sands. 

I will look at those bearings again also. Brain is on over load now, getting ready to head off to the AAW Symposium....

robo hippy