Problem lowering table saw blade
i bought one one the craftsman zip code saws about 10 years ago with the bies fence. It's been a great saw for the money.

I have a problem now when I lower the blade. When the top of th e blade is about 1" above the table, it gets hard to turn the crank and the blade doesn't want to go down. I can't get the blade to go all the way down and it stops about 1/2 " above the table. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks
Most likely something stuck in there. I make sure to blow out the grooves in the casting every so often as sawdust can get packed in and cause issues.

The zipcode saws were a great bang for the buck. I have it and a 1023 griz in the shop and i find myself using rhe zipcode saw more. My only complaint is the cheap handwheels. I also have a dewalt sliding table on mine so that gets used as well...
(05-17-2017, 10:14 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Most likely something stuck in there. I make sure to blow out the grooves in the casting every so often as sawdust can get packed in and cause issues.

The zipcode saws were a great bang for the buck. I have it and a 1023 griz in the shop and i find myself using rhe zipcode saw more. My only complaint is the cheap handwheels. I also have a dewalt sliding table on mine so that gets used as well...
You can get all qualities of handwheels on line.  Graingers carries some.  Here are more:  https://industrialcomponentsgroup.com/pr...swodtCIC7w
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a 10" Craftsman TS that I bought in the 70s and every once in a while it is necessary to clean the shaft using a brass bristle brush and lubricate it as well as regularly cleaning out the sawdust  that accumulates. It has been a great saw and served me well all these years.
[Image: IMGP0046_zps981558eb.jpg]
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I agree with George.  Clean off the threads with a brass brush (I get a cheap one at the lumber yard, looks like a brass tooth brush) and lubricate the screw with some sort of dry lubricant that won't catch more dust.  I use Johnson's paste wax.  My saw also has a stop on the screw held in place by a gib screw.  If yours does, it may have come loose and moved, blocking free travel, but I suspect it is just an accumulation of dust.
Randy

One thing to look at is the knob in the center of that wheel which tightens it up or loosens it up that maybe it is to tight.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Use air, and spray lube to blow the crud out of the teeth, likely cause. Some no stick, non silicone spray is good for lube too, or canning wax.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have a vintage Craftsman TS. Sawdust gets packed in some of the parts. Clear that out, much better. No idea how the zip codes are designed, but worth a look

(05-17-2017, 05:58 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I have a vintage Craftsman TS. Sawdust gets packed in some of the parts. Clear that out, much better. No idea how the zip codes are designed, but worth a look

They are very similar to a regular cabinet saw which makes sence as the guys that designed it used to work for powermatic and delta.
I had the trunion gear go bad on my Rigid saw shortly after the one year point. They finally decided to fix it under warranty. But, yes, always check for something simple before getting carried away.

Our tools often work so well and degrade so slowly that we have to remind ourselves to perform regular maintenance. And any given pass through the saw can flip a chip into an unfortunate location.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday