Wierd ac compressor issue during power surge
I used to do commercial refrigeration but not much house ac at all.... 

We have had lots of wind here tearing up the trees but not a drop of rain as usual... I have several ups units for different items around the house because our power isnt the most stable. They have been beeping all night and they made a bunch of noise while the ac was on and it immediatly stopped cooling but was still running and sounded like it went into bypass so i threw on my shoes and started cussing... 

I went outside and my neighbor came out to check his as well because the same thing happened to his. I told him to pull the disconnect on his as i was pulling mine. I let it sit afew minutes plugged it back in and it started up fine as did his next door. 

Scrolls were still kind of a new thing and pricey when i was getting out of refrigeration so im not familiar with their quirks. Any knowledge to pass on?     

Oh how i would love to live somewhere that i didnt need ac... Oh wait i grew up in hawaii, time to go back i think.
Haven't messed with the ups since we did Ma Bells systems. Perhaps restart load was too high.
Is this battery backup?

Guess it depends on what type ups you're using.

You probably just lost one leg of 240v. ?
Its possible that a hot restart tripped the internal relief valve on the compressor.  A few minutes off and pressures equalized until it could start normally.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Yeah that would be the IPR valve or if it were momentary, the 4 way switching on loss of power.
Thats what i was figuring was just wanting another opinion. Its really strange that it happened to both of ours at the same time. The surges and dips were particularly quick and numerous for several minutes. Seems like it my have hot restarted a couple times in a very short period and may have been very irregular on the two hots. 

Not to mention it was still 85* at 9:30 last night... Very odd since its been a well below normal temp spring. Course we had all those storms go through and not a drop of rain as usual but lots of wind damage...