My Wife likes it
Spent my week with Glen Huey and the Brothers in Law. 3 of us attended a class Glen had to make a Green n Green desk. The BIL's are 2 guys who are actual BIL's and do woodworking classes, and ventures together. One is from Florida, and one from Atlanta. They had taken a class with Glen last May as well. I wanted to take the class because I have not been successful in getting my own shop ready to undertake much more than scut work, I really like Glen, and he really is a great teacher. The fact that LOML wanted a desk for her "office/Sewing room/Baskets, and Beading room". I showed her the picture of Glens desk offering, and she liked, and wanted me to go off and make something for a change.
Crazy

Great class, great project, a TON of Mortise and Tenon joinery done with a TS for tenons, and a Mortiser for the mortises, with hand tools for clean up, and fine tuning. Glen is a step by step woodworker, and frequently says if I can do it anyone can. He is deeply grounded in starting with 4 square stock, cut to exact lengths, and layout of the M&T's to exacting position. When it just falls together it seems that anything less than really well cut stock is just asking for trouble. The BIL's are complete as of now. It would appear hand cutting DT's a few years ago, and doing just that today left mine wanting. So my drawer needs to be reworked. All of our parts are as of yet unsanded, and at present nothing is glued up, so finish work is in front of me.

Being G&G it is very plain, and has no catchy edges, or ornamentation. After LOML get's a chance to eyeball it, that may change. The back crest is about as sporty as it is right now, the cubbies/pigeon holes have a slight swoosh on their face, but they are left flat, not sure if I like that, we'll see what SWMBO says about it. Legs and top are flat, and square edged, I would like different, but it's her desk.  
Uhoh

Obviously G&G is QSWO and the BIL's used that. Glen had cleaned out Chad Muterspaw's stock of anything fetching in QSWO. I called and talked to the guys at Frank Miller, and they didn't sound enthused about what they had on hand. Mr Carson said, Man you should have seen what I had last week, but it was going to be 2 more weeks until he got more, so I was thinking Cherry. Needed some 8/4 for the legs, got that and some 5/4 at Muterspaw's. I had on hand some Curly Cherry in 4/4, so I decided to add my pzazz with the small parts in Curly Cherry. It is hard to see on any of the pics, hopefully it will pop when we finish it. I'll likely use BLO, MS, and Spar Varnish as a wipe on. Been going that way for years, and still like how it works for me. It will darken the cherry, and pop the grain, so hopefully the Curly will jump out.

Anyhow here are a few pics. I didn't even think about a camera while I was cutting and all, so there are a few views of the bare frame. one of all 3 tables, and a couple of shots of everything on it, but unfinished. Questions, Comments, and all else welcome.

[Image: Frame%20front_zpsrsv92a0j.jpg]

[Image: Frame%20side_zps196jjkwp.jpg]

[Image: all%203%20desks_zpsxyinr5pi.jpg]

[Image: squared%20up%20the%20drawer_zpsd6l8gkm8.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Looks very nice,  So long as the wife likes it, nothing else really matters.

Cool
Cool
Cool

Mike
That's going to look really nice Steve, when it's all done.  But you should have taken your HRM with you for the class.  It would be done by now had you had it with you, and everyone else would have been envious and wanted one, too. 

John
I was telling Glen I could have cut the M&T's in a fraction of the time. Hey said Pewwwshaw. I was more than a day pulling that handle down, and he had a floor model Powermatic. My shoulder still hurts. I think I could have done them easily in a few hours, even with figuring layout, and adjusting for stock thickness variations. Even with router/bit cost thrown in, your HRM is a fraction of the cost of one of those mortisers, plus your HRM does a lot more than just M&T's

I'm going to drag it over there one of my Monday, or Fridays off. It will be interesting to hear his thoughts on it. I know I'm sold

GW
I love it! G&G is something that's very high on my list of "want to do". I may be able to start something like that this fall (fingers crossed).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Where does this class take place? And what is an HRM?
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Harold, I can't help with your first question, but an HRM is a Horizontal Router Mortiser.  You can build one for not a lot of time or money.  If you do you will never again look at M&T's with dread. 

John
Harold, the class was in West Chester, Ohio. That is about 20 minutes North of Cincinnati, off I-75. Teacher is Glen Huey, formally of Popular Woodworking before they went bat $#!t crazy and fired 3 of the best woodworkers in America that also happened to write for that magazine, while it still was a magazine. Glen and his comrades struck out and started 360 Woodworking. Life being what it is, Glen is all that is left, and he entertained us all of last week. I've known those guys from when Pop Woodworking was a strong magazine, and have bugged Glen off and on for advice, and direction. He's a really good guy, a well published author, and a gifted woodworker.

Some of Glens books probably Pop woodworking gets most of the $$$$ though.

GW
Thanks John, without a doubt you're more qualified on it than I. I just know it works exactly as advertised.
Big Grin

GW