Straightedge for leveling
Sorry everyone I should have mentioned that I want to make sure all the equipment is set right and I can see my planer has slipped down some and I want to check the jointer and table saw also.  So I guess 3' is about right to do that with.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-20-2017, 04:46 PM)JGrout Wrote: you can make your own for a song

This is an old machinists technique and it works just fine 

go down to first you need to make a straightedge 

Joe

Joe

That one is above me and do not know if it works for what I need it for?.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(05-21-2017, 02:15 PM)Cecil Wrote: I picked up some 80/20 at the 80/20 garage sale.

I have in the past looked for some of that which was affordable to make a few sleds and other things with and the price at the time was way to much for us and I put it off and forgot about it.

True straight edges aren't cheap and may be within .001" for a lesser perfect one. About 80 bucks.

You might try a metal supplier and get a length of 1/4" x 2" flat of aluminum and try it. ??
(05-21-2017, 03:26 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Sorry everyone I should have mentioned that I want to make sure all the equipment is set right and I can see my planer has slipped down some and I want to check the jointer and table saw also.  So I guess 3' is about right to do that with.

How much do you want to spend? These Taylor Toolworks straight edges on Amazon get good reviews -- 38" ($37), 50" ($45), no tax, free shipping with Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017CG96UY/ref...1N1D551M0Y

Straight edges are available from Rockler. Do you have a Rockler store in Council Bluffs?

http://www.rockler.com/igaging-precision...fgodCJIHfg
Arlin --    Consider 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum flat stock sold at HD and Lowes.  Sold in various lengths .   Plenty accurate for table saw top and planer infeed and outfeed tables.     Use JGout's method to determine if your jointer tables are co-planed.   I use a straightedge in conjunction with the jointer to check the flatness of a piece lengthwise once its run thru the jointer.

Dave
Thanks for the reminder of the flat steel.  It made me remember Menards and they sell some good stuff there that is 1/4" or L angle that is that size.