Counter top Stuff
Can't afford granite. Looking for an affordable alternative. I need approx. 125 SF. Any experiences with Corian? Just looked at HD for a start. Going to check local businesses next week for more options. I'm probably 3 months away from installation. Is it to soon to choose. I want to wait to stain or shellac the HM cabinets until I know exactly what I'm using.

Suggestions & comments welcome
Jim
Can you do it with different materials, or colors? Maybe some could be a butcher block-such as an island or baking center. Or if possible you could get two different kinds of granite, maybe finding a deal by using two different ones that are left over at the granite place.
Granite is the cheapest countertop i could find short of formica. Granite can be had in pre prepped slabs for as low as $200 per 8' slab 3cm thick.

I woild love to get some solod surface for projects but its expensive and hard to get. Every so often i will see a bunch on craigslist from an installer going out of business.
So I have to ask where you are located as location will help with suggestions
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I don't know how it compares to the price of granite, but we put in a man-made product (Silestone) a few years ago. Never been sorry. Just wipe with a damp cloth or paper towel and go. No regular maintenance coatings needed.
(05-20-2017, 08:59 PM)Willyou Wrote: I don't know how it compares to the price of granite, but we put in a man-made product (Silestone) a few years ago. Never been sorry. Just wipe with a damp cloth or paper towel and go. No regular maintenance coatings needed.

Definitely check Silestone and the other available quartz composites (Zodiaq, Cambria, CaesarStone, etc.). Soapstone is another option if you like the look.
Avoid Corian. It is an acrylic (much like dental acrylic used in orthodontic retainers). It scratches, burns, etc. and will dull with use. It's very strong and can be polished, but better materials are available.
I looked at all the borgs had and Granite was just as cheap or cheaper then anything else other than plastic lam.
(05-20-2017, 08:10 PM)Bob10 Wrote: So I have to ask where you are located as location will help with suggestions

SW Mo. Things are normally less expensive here than a lot of other parts of the country.
Jim
It all depends on the granite color. There are about a dozen standard colors that are relatively inexpensive. Most dealers steer you clear of them. When we were remodeling our kitchen, we happened upon this tidbit of knowledge by accident. The color that we wanted was in this group. The sales person at Lowes told us that we were lucky because it was a basic color and therefore less expensive. When we went to other dealers for price comparison, most tried to get us to pick a different color, because the markup was higher. Just an FYI
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry