Deadbolt question
An entry door on my garage has a two-part Schlage locking system.  The same key operates a lock that’s built into the doorknob as well as a separate deadbolt.  Recently I’ve noticed that when I unlock the deadbolt, something strange happens.  The bolt initially retracts fully, but it remains fully retracted only as long as the key is not removed.  When I remove the key, the bolt sticks out again, by about ¼ inch.  I can push the bolt back into the recess with light hand pressure.   Can you determine what’s going on based on my report and advise me on what to do to correct the problem?  Thanks. (I plan to lubricate the mechanism with graphite....is that likely to help?)
That might work but I would call Schlage and have them send out a replacement.  They do a good job honoring the warranty.  If what you propose works great if not you have the replacement part
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Keep in mind graphite isn't a lubricant nor will it offer any corrosion protection. It's an abrasive. Consider using oil.

Oil it and see what happens. Consider using an aerosol lubricant with an applicator tube. Stick it into the guts of the lock and give it a squirt. Operate the lock a few times to work it in. See what happens.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

sometimes the bolt itself is the issue remove the cross bolt and lube the interior of the slide action and reinstall 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

This stuff is great. http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/produc...3411605579

I originally found it by calling a cabinet door manufacturer because the keys wouldn't go into the locks. Turns out, the locks are machined to such tight tolerances that sometimes small filings are left inside of the lock. The recommended a couple of drops on the key and then insert the key. It worked. I then found lots of uses for it. It may help in your case. I bought a smaller bottle for myself and it has lasted forever.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Graphite has been used for years in locks as a lubricant.    However the newer none oily products may be cleaner to work with.   Try extending the bolt and use something like WD 40 to clean it.  operate several times and see it it helps.  Roly
Thanks for the suggestions.  I applied a small amount of graphite.  That improved things substantially, so I decided to stop there and use the door for a few days to see whether the problem continues to improve with normal usage.  If necessary, I'll re-apply a small amount of graphite.  Should that fail, I'll move on to the additional suggestions those of you who replied were kind enough to offer.  Thanks to each of you!.
I use this lube on my locks.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2300D...+lubricant