Used veritas planes on ebay
(05-24-2017, 08:44 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I feel EXACTLY the same way. The shiny new tools in my shop always get passed by as I reach for the rusty/repaired tools. I just hate to be the guy who rubs all the red off the pop. As for the tools that are broken in-- well, they get used and abused like a rented mule.

Interesting analogy. I've never rented a mule, myself. However, my wife's grandfather was very fond of his own teams. I hate renting because the stuff is barely operational and I can see them trying to stick me for the inevitable.

But yeah, it took a while to warm up my new LN #4. I did go to a #5 Stanley to shoot endgrain a couple days ago. But that might have been due to blade setting and not scratches on polished bronze.

You lost me on "red of the pop...."
Well back in the day, everyone knew that the red food dye #2 wass the best part of a popsicle. Once the red is gone, the rest is pretty bland. So once the red is gone, the new is all licked off.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I use "beat it like a rented mule" a lot.  But since I moved here and have seen how big the mules are, I don't think I would beat one.  They must be part Clydesdale
Well go figure. I had the chance of buying a Veritas 4 1/2 for $60 at the Brimfield Antique Show a few weeks ago. I guess I passed up a good deal.

New tools are nice, but old tools have a story to tell. I enjoy prolonging the story.

Mike
Sometimes the Veritas planes are not in stock and the quickest route is used.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
At some point, all those "old" planes were new. Maybe 75 years from now, folks will pass up the latest and greatest hand plane for a vintage Veritas, because of the stories they could tell.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill