Saw selling help
I have some pretty nice hand saws to sell. I see on eBay that the cost of shipping is from $8-12 a fair price. How do you get such prices and how do you pack and ship
Thanks
ken
I sell a lot of saws,on eBay and here, and I think that price for shipping is realistic.I'm in Oklahoma, and the cost of shipping a full-sized saw from here to either coast is about $8-$12 at current USPS Priority Mail rates.
To pack a full-sized saw, I make my own box out of a sheet of corrugated cardboard.I try to use a piece of another box or a piece of cardboard that came with a plywood shipment. I cut a piece 22" X 38" with the corrugations running the long direction,and indent a line with a blunt instrument 2" from each end across the width (the 22" dimension) of the sheet. I then measure off 2", 10", 12", and 20" across the width at both ends. Then I take a long piece of wood and use it as a straightedge to fold the sheet into a box 2" X 8" X 38". One of the 2" sides will overlap, and I tape that side shut.Then I cut the corners down to the scored marks and fold one end up. I cut a piece of cardboard to 7-1/2" X 34" and stretch-wrap the saw to it. Then I put some bubble-wrap in the bottom and slide the saw in to the box. I put some more bubble wrap in the top and fold the end over,making sure the saw doesn't move around in the box. I seal it up, stick a mailing label on it, and send it!
Hope this helps.
Rick W
Filed this for future reference. Thanks.  I think I'll pack a saw and go to the USPS and find out with the object in hand. Providing a fixed, reasonable cost for customers makes selling a whole lot more pleasant and $8-12 dollars is very reasonable compoared wjhat I've been told.
ken
Its a fair amount of work, but  not difficult, to make a shipping box for saws, I don't sell so many so its not a big deal, but if you can find a source for a suitable box that is premade you will likely save some time; again, not sure how many saws you are talking about, but making up 20 boxes would be a PITA.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I build the shipping boxes described by Mark Harrell on the Bad Axe Tool Works web site. The saw itself is wrapped in stiff cardboard and then put into the shipping box, which is packed full of foam peanuts, bubble wrap, or newspaper. I have shipped over 50 saws in this fashion without incident. Shipping via USPS Priority ranges from $11 to $20, depending on destination and this includes full insurance.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com