It's always something -- oven doesn't heat
I get back from a trip and my wife tells me the oven barely heats

I feel like the circuit is so simple that I should be able to fix it.  Is it likely to be a burned out element?  I'm not even sure where to start with this.
It's easy to determine if the element is burned out, but I doubt that's your problem if you have some heat.  A burned out element won't heat at all.  Anyway, you can check it with an ohm meter.  Beep - beep means it's good.  Infinity means it's toast. 

Did the power flicker or go off recently?  My two year old oven wouldn't heat properly a few weeks ago, then the panel wouldn't work at all.  I called Fridgidaire and the first thing the lady sad was to trip the circuit breaker and wait at least 60 seconds before closing the breaker again.  It was back to normal after I did that. 

Worth a shot.  

John
Check voltage at the element. If it has voltage, replace the element, if not, it's the thermostat/timer or a connection.

*Provide you already made sure the stove is getting voltage.
The connection is what I thought, if you're getting some heat it may mean something messed it up.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Has the oven recently been through a cleaning cycle? If it is a whirlpool/Kitchenaid then the overtemp sensor on the rear may have tripped. Its a one-shot device and would need to be replaced. I keep spares.
Smile
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Since you mentioned an element, I presume it's an electric range.  If by some chance it's gas, one of the burner igniters may be out.  There should be two, one for the lower burner which is typically used when set to 'Bake"  & one for the upper for "Broil".
it's electric.  I don't think we ever clean it.  Have to check.
Check to see if the broil element works ok.  If so suggest removing the main element and check for continuity from end to end and check to see if it is grounded to the outside of the element.   Sometime the element will burn open between the connections but go to ground internally which will cause your issue as the winding will only see 120v and not 240v.    Roly
the broiler does work.  I think the lower element may be burned out, doesn't look good.  I'm not feeling that great, so I'll try to figure out how to remove the lower element tomorrow
I had a lower element that was partially failed; only a small portion of the element was heating so oven would produce some heat but never get to temp.

Don't forget to check the owners manual for common issues