It's always something -- oven doesn't heat
the owners manual is really horrible.

Here's a weird thing.  I told my wife that the broiler was working, so she tried to use it.  Came and got me and said it was sputtering.  It was arcing and losing material.  Is this just a weird coincidence?  I feel like the circuit is very simple, and one failing at the same time as the other is just unlikely, but possible.  Or else the broiler element dumped burning slag on the lower one and it burned out.  

Need to go check the lower one for continuity
I found a schematic for the oven.  Haven't studied it yet.  I like to grill things, so the oven being out isn't a huge issue yet.  

I found out there is a $300 clock/timer replacement for the oven.  I know ovens are expensive, but that would probably get me up to  a price where a new oven is competitive.  $80 for the elements.

Still haven't troubleshot the oven, the basement is a bigger priority until the whining gets louder.